Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

by Roald Dahl | Children's Books |
Registered by Aramena of Moore, Oklahoma USA on 9/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003
Old hardback published in 1983. Adding to kid's book box.

Journal Entry 2 by Shadowraven at Palmdale High School, Mrs. Bell's Room in Palmdale, California USA on Friday, October 24, 2003
Released on Friday, October 24, 2003 at Palmdale High School, Mrs. Bell's Room in Palmdale, California USA.

Graciously received as a RABK. Released on the Bookcrossing Table in Room 543 today.

Journal Entry 3 by Shadowraven from Palmdale, California USA on Friday, June 11, 2004
Taking home to read over the summer.

Journal Entry 4 by Shadowraven from Palmdale, California USA on Thursday, June 17, 2004
Picked up today and read in only a couple of hours; I didn’t know this was such a quick book! I loved the quiet sarcasm of Willy Wonka’s character. I can easily see why Gene Wilder was cast in the first adaptation and think under the campy direction of Tim Burton that Johnny Depp’s Wonka will be just has hilarious (movie due 2006). Some of the illustrations (although not drawn by the Dahl himself) bear some kind of similarity to the drawings of Burton! Interestingly, on this copy’s page 71, the whangdoodle is referred to as a creature that would eat ten Oompa-Loompas for breakfast and come galloping back for a second helping.” I wonder if Julie Andrews Edward was “inspired” by this creature from Dahl’s novel (first published in 1964) and so wrote The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (published in 1974) about a fantastical creature with a mighty sweet tooth. Overall I found Dahl’s usually outrageous humor quite muted in this book. I enjoyed the outlandishness of The BFG and The Witches much more.

I hope to hold on to this one for just a little longer with the intention of releasing it into a Movie Bookbox that is due to come my way very soon. I promise to not hold it much past a month though and will offer it up as an RABK, the same way I received it, if I am unable to move it on its journey through the bookbox.

Released on Friday, July 16, 2004 at SENT TO FELLOW BOOKCROSSER in RABCK, postal release USA.

Being sent as a trade. I'm getting Metropolis and Hans is getting this. From his bookshelf it looks like he enjoys Dahl... who doesn't?

Journal Entry 6 by HansPersson from Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Saturday, November 04, 2006
I had a look at the bottom of my to-read pile, and see what I found!

Like previous Dahl titles I have read, this is good, light-hearted fun, although perhaps this is slightly darker than others (not that that's a bad thing). There's also quite a bit of enjoyable wordplay.

Journal Entry 7 by linghem from Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Monday, November 27, 2006
I got this book from my son (entry no 6), who regularly provides me with books to read. I enjoyed the book, even though I'm not a kid anymore...
I'll leave the book where I think it will be easily found.