Le Petit Prince

Registered by zafferoni on 8/20/2003
Journal Entry 1 by zafferoni on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
This book is a classic for all ages -- it's one of my all-time favorites. I can't say enough about how uplifting, moving, poignant it is. If you have any grasp on French, do yourself a favor and ...

JOIN THE BOOKRAY!

I already have another copy of this book so I am bookray-ing this one. We can always use more people! PM me to sign up and if it is already on its way I can put you on the end of the list.

Journal Entry 2 by zafferoni on Thursday, September 04, 2003
I am starting the bookray for Le Petit Prince -- I sent it along to the first member two days ago.

Journal Entry 3 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, September 08, 2003
This book arrived safe and sound today (along with 3 other rings/rays). I will get to it as soon as I can. Hopefully my French is up to the task. It's been almost 10 years since I studied French.

Just in case I lose zafferoni's list, here is the order of the ray:

caligula03 (that's me!)
havfaith
gorydetails
kernow8
quorcester
fingerart

Journal Entry 4 by caligula03 at -- By Post or Hand, Ray/ring, Meet-up,Rabck in Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2003
Release planned for Saturday, October 18, 2003 at Sent to Fellow Bookcrosser in Fairbanks, Alaska USA.

It's a strange little book that defies classification. My husband and I both read it and went away with very different interpretations. The book is part whimsy, part satire, and part philosphy. Its deceptive simplicity defies classification on greater examination.

Will mail to havfaith this Saturday. Possibly sooner.

Journal Entry 5 by havfaith from Spokane, Washington USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2003
What a surprise! Didn't even remember I signed up for this bookray! I'll get to it as soon as I finish the bookring books waiting... =)

Journal Entry 6 by havfaith at -- By Post or Hand, Ray/ring, Meet-up,Rabck in Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Sunday, November 09, 2003
Release planned for Monday, November 10, 2003 at Sent to Fellow Bookcrosser in Fairbanks, Alaska USA.

My French is rustier than I thought so instead of keeping this and trying to get through it, I'll just pass it on to the next person to enjoy! =) I will have to read this someday...

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, December 04, 2003
The book arrived safely in today's mail; many thanks! I've been looking forward to giving Le Petit Prince a try in the original French - although I don't know how well I'll do... {grin}

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 07, 2003
I was pleased to find that I could make sense of most of the story - partly because the language is relatively simple and partly because I know the lines well enough to supplement my so-so French {grin}. I did have trouble with the visits to the other planets - the vocabulary there was a bit trickier, and those aren't my favorite bits anyway. Still, I enjoyed the exercise, and I do love this story! (It's a bit daunting to realize how much is lost - or, sometimes, added - in translation, but since I doubt I'd be able to learn very many languages well enough to read serious literature in them, it's just as well that there be translators...)

I got a kick out of the supplemental section at the back of the book, especially the what-kind-of-animal-are-you quiz - although I turned out to be primarily "mouton" with a touch of "serpent," and barely any "renard" at all. Going by the descriptions provided, I suppose this wasn't too far off, but still!

The book's on its way to kernow8 in Virginia tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 12, 2003
Just received in the mail - thanks everyone. I've added it to my reading plan and should be able to get it to quorcester within the month. Hope that's OK...

Journal Entry 10 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 06, 2004
This was a lovely little book although I couldn't quite work out whether it was meant for children or adults. Maybe it was written with the intention of appealing on both levels - the fantasy/adventure and childish drawings for children and the philosophical insights for the grown-ups. Funnily enough, given GoryDetails journal before mine, I loved the different planets, with the king, the businessman, the drunk etc. used to demonstrate how much time and energy people devote to really pointless and self-centred activities. Very funny. I think I'll look for an English version now to share with my family!

Will send to quorcester as soon as I've finished looking through the fun section at the back of the book.
Thanks!