Holy Fools (Bookring)

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tho on 8/20/2003
Journal Entry 1 by tho on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
Just got it from amazon - I'm a fan of Joanne Harris, and read all her books so far (yes, even the French Cookbook :-) so I'm sure this book will not disappoint me.
I'm turning it into a bookring after I'm done, if enough people are interested.

From the inside cover:
Set in seventeenth century France, againts a backdrop of witch trials, regicide and religious frenzy, this is the story of Juliette, one-time actress and rope-dancer, who is forced by circumstance to abandon the travelling life and seek refuge among the sisters of the remote abbey of Sainte Marie-de-la-Mer.
Reinvented as Soeur Auguste, Juliette is able to make a new life for herself and her young daughter, Fleur, under the benevolent tutelage of the kindly Abbess. But times are changing; the murder of the King, Henri IV, becomes the catalyst for massive social and political upheaval in france, which soon reaches even this remote island community (...)

Journal Entry 2 by tho on Monday, August 25, 2003
I've decided to turn this into an European bookring (it's a small hardcover) after I read it.
Bookring list so far:

1 - Amostrinha (Lisboa, Portugal)
2 - pikapolonica (Stockholm, Sweden)
3 - Tintti (Jyvaskyla, Finland)
4 - LisaJane (London, UK)
5 - lee-r (London, UK)
6 - Bookmanu (Cascais, Portugal)
7 - ... back to me

Journal Entry 3 by tho on Monday, September 15, 2003
Not my favourite Joanne Harris book so far, but still an enjoyable read with a good storyline. The description of Juliette's life as a caravan performer is quite entertaining, but when due to circumstances she has to give up that life and decides to seek refuge in the abbey, I felt that the action slowed a bit too much... But when the new abbess and Juliette's old "enemy" appear, things start becoming interesting again ... leading to a climatic ending that didn't disappoint me.~

To read more on the author's ideas about this book (and her other books as well), check this website

Photo: The island of Noirmoutier, where Joanne Harris based the setting for this novel.

Journal Entry 4 by Amostrinha on Thursday, September 18, 2003
I received the book directly from the owner yesterday. By glancing at the cover I knew I'm going to love it...

Journal Entry 5 by Amostrinha on Friday, October 03, 2003
Suspense throughout the whole story, it was a great read and I'm going to buy this book as soon as I can.
Harris' construction of the characters is great and the writing keeps you focused on "what comes next" all along. This would never be the kind of book that you read a bit and put aside to read other books on your (bookring) pile...
Thanks, Tho, for sharing it with us.

It left the country today, by airmail, to join Pikapolonica in Sweden!

Journal Entry 6 by pikapolonica on Friday, October 10, 2003
Arrived to Stockholm, what a lovely lovely book (from the visual point of view)! :) I'll start reading it during the weekend.

Update (14th Oct): I finished the book in two evenings, it's really un-put-downable. Things get revealed all the time, but never completely, so you keep wanting to know more about Blackbird's motives and Juliette's secrets. However, I'd prefer a bit less of a happy ending - it would have been just perfect if the epilogue was left out.

I sent the book to Tintti on Friday, 17th October.

Journal Entry 7 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 21, 2003
I got the book today. It looks so beautiful that I'd like to start reading it right away! Unfortunately I have a dinner to cook, so the book has to wait a while...

Thanks, pikapolonica, for sending this to me!

Journal Entry 8 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, November 02, 2003
I really enjoyed the first half of the book, I thought it was very exciting and I didn't want to put the book down. But then I had to go to a business trip and I didn't have time to read for some days...and when I came back home and tried to continue reading, I didn't get the same feeling anymore. I don't know if it was just me, or if the book got worse after the great start.

Anyway, this was a nice read, and I do like Joanne Harris' style. I have two of her books in my TBR pile, but I think I'll wait for a month or two before reading them - her books are quite similar to each other, and I don't want to get confused with the characters and plots.

This one I'll send to LisaJane soon.

Journal Entry 9 by Hexa on Thursday, November 13, 2003
Safely received from Tintti - thank you. Will get to reading it as soon I can.

Journal Entry 10 by Hexa on Thursday, November 20, 2003
I really enjoyed this, suspenseful throughout and a gripping read. She writes very well about community, and about magic, the common sense kind of magic which is at best a way of life. Like her other novels, this is the story of a community and how it changes, but the main characters are never quite part of the community. I think I agree with others that maybe the happy ending was a bit much. I too will be saving the other book of hers that I have on my TBR pile, partly because her books can seem quite similar, but also because I find them a treat to read, especially the sensuousness of the language and that everyday magic I mentioned.

Sending on to lee-r - hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 11 by lee-r on Friday, December 19, 2003
I was sent this book as part of a book ring. I'm a bit of a francophile and love Joanne Harris' books and the way she describes life (and food) over there.

Just finished reading it, and now need to find out where to send it next.

Journal Entry 12 by lee-r on Monday, February 23, 2004
I've sent this on to bookmanu - sorry about the delay.

I hope you enjoy this book - I'm not sure it's her best, but it's still a great read.

Journal Entry 13 by bookmanu from Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, March 07, 2004
Thanks Tho (for the bookring) and lee-r (for posting it)!

It was a nice, quick , easy read...definitely not her best. I enjoyed the time and setting though.

On its way back to Tho (I'll be contacting you for the address)

Journal Entry 14 by tho on Wednesday, March 17, 2004
This book found its way home again :-) The first bookring that has returned to me - so thanks bookmanu for sending it, and to all the participants for taking such good care of it ! I hope you all enjoyed the read ...
Joanne Harris' new book comes out next month - a collection of short stories called "Jigs and Reels". I'm planning on getting it, so please expect a bookring of that sometime soon ;-)