Orange Wednesday

by Leslie Thomas | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/18/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 18, 2003
(04/10) Review to follow

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, October 08, 2004
I’ve read a lot of Thomas’s books in the past, so I thought I would read this as part of my big ’September Challenge’ clear-out, for old times sake. And, I wasn’t disappointed. Despite the naff cover and LT’s reputation for end-of-the-pier smut (Virgin Soldiers/Tropic of Ruislip), he does write good books. This is quite an easy read, mostly, and covers familiar territory; a slightly ridiculous (but ultimately good-hearted) hero, the gentle aftershocks of war in Europe, a cocktail of humour, misunderstandings, sex, & contrived situations. One part, involving a bit of torture (not too graphic) upset me a bit, but then I think by then - about 3/4 through the book - I wanted Kingdom Brunel Hopkins ("my Father named me after the famous bridge builder", "who, Stephenson?") to win through and be happy!

So to the plot. Brunel has been forgotten by the army for 2 years, left in charge of the ‘Moribund Documents Section’ in a sleepy German spa town of Fulsbad; with his drunk cat, a cowboy-costume-wearing ex-Nazi, a doting landlady, and trying to fend off a 15 year fraulein with a crush on him. Then the real world comes crashing in on his well-ordered world; the intrigue that is ‘Orange Wednesday’; high diplomacy, low politics & dangerous passions.

A special word about the wonderful Prudence, probably named only so that Thomas could use the throwaway joke about ‘The man from the Pru’. You may never sleep on a metal sprung bed again without thinking of her ‘Blockentackel-unterhandlunder’!?

(ps. this isn't my book cover, but you get the picture!)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Friday, October 15, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (10/15/2004 UTC) at

The 'wrong door' but at least its out of the rain :)