Three Men in a Boat: to Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Popular Classics)

by Jerome K. Jerome | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of on 8/18/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, August 18, 2003
This registration was originally Duncton Found by William Horwood, which for some reason went missing? Probably the victim of over-eager de-cluttering chez nous. I've re-used the BCID :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (9/14/2004 UTC) at

On its way to laura0141 as a fang-Q, and cos its on her wishlist :) I'd like it back at some point - or we could set up a bookring?? That 'point in time', being when the summit of Mt Toberead is visible below the cloudline, probably about December 2008! Enjoy

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, September 16, 2004
Many thanks for this one .. will be returned when read :)

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, May 02, 2005
This book is quite charming.

It tells the story of three young men and one dog in 19th Century times. The party decides to take a week off and travel up the Thames from London to beyond Oxford and back down again in a rowing boat.

In addition to telling of their adventures, Jerome fits in history lessons, geographical information and observations of human nature which are acute. The book does not have a lecturely feel to it though and is a perfectly calming and pleasant read.

Will be returned to Bookgroupman when I have his address.

Journal Entry 5 by laura0141 from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, May 12, 2005
On way to bookgroupman

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, May 13, 2005
Thanks Laura, back safe and sound. I'm looking for a travel-themed book for my next book group. This looks perfect :)

(23/06) Finished, review to follow

Journal Entry 7 by BookGroupMan from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, July 21, 2005
This was a pleasant enough paddle along the Thames, with 3 youngish middle-classed men and Montmorency the dog. The idea of such a rowing holiday seems odd nowadays, but you do get a different perspective on history and the part played by river travel, rivers crossings, riverside towns, battles & royal liaisons from the Romans & Vikings, through Magna Carta, Henry VIII etc. etc. We’ve largely turned our backs on rivers (and canals & trains for that matter), in favour of racing from A to B as quickly as possible on featureless and mute motorways or ‘planes.

Jerome K. Jerome wrote in a variety of media, including journalism and the theatre. This comic novel was a one-off, not unlike its contemporary ‘The Diary of a Nobody’; they’re similar in style too, although I don’t think 3 Men is as funny.

A couple of times I wasn’t sure whether phrases were Jerome’s creations (c.1889) or whether they were references to earlier sources, a bit like reading Shakespeare and thinking that it is full of clichés, when WS practically invented the English idiom! For example reference to Harris’s ‘famous’ comic songs, which he thinks are great but everyone else finds extremely dull. Harris says, ‘[it is a thing] that you ought to hear once, and then die’. And another, as part of a longer monologue, ‘I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.’ And…the novelty of ‘scrambled eggs’, surely they weren’t invented in the last decades of the 19thC?

A final quote, bemoaning the choice of sail or paddle, and the vagaries of the wind, ‘This world is only a probation, and man was born to trouble as the sparks fly upwards’

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, November 10, 2005
Reserved for Wistfuldragon...now part of a n ickle bookray. I'm happy for the last person to drum up more interest or dispose of as she/he sees fit. Thanks for taking part :)

Wistfuldragon
Nocton4
Dsc

Thank you for taking part in this bookray...onwards and upwards!

Journal Entry 9 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (12/2/2005 UTC) at

On its way to Wistfuldragon, and if you don't mind pass on to Nocton4?

Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 10 by WistfulDragon from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Thanks BookGroupMan - and I'll certainly pass it on to Nocton4 when I've read it! Thank you for the beautiful postcard.

Journal Entry 11 by WistfulDragon from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, December 10, 2005
I loved this book, it was the perfect time for me to read it. Nothing of import happens, there are some amusing little anecdotes, and a little gentle philosophy. Just the antidote I needed to the Christmas panic!

Journal Entry 12 by nocton4 from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, December 16, 2005
Arrived today .. thanks to all.

Denise x

Journal Entry 13 by nocton4 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Am sending this on to dsc as I am worse than useless with reading at the mo !!! sorry.

Love Denise xx

Journal Entry 14 by dsc from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Received today from Nocton4, thank you.
I have been looking forward to this since watching Rory McGrath, Dara O'Briain and Gryf Rhys Jones recreating the journey on TV recently. I also caught Nigel Planer reading some of it on OneWord the other day too, and it sounds quite amusing.
Next on TBR pile.
Are you sure you don't want it back BookGroupMan?

Journal Entry 15 by dsc from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, March 11, 2006
This started off as a quite amusing book, and I managed to get two thirds of the way through at which stage I just lost interest completely. There didn't seem to be a lot of the journey in it, just a few lines before some "and that reminded me of a time when..." anecdote would occur to the author and you would then get several pages recounting an incident that was totally unrelated. After a lot of this, I'm afraid it got a bit annoying.
Will PM nocton4 to see if they want it back as they didn't read it before, otherwise will find it a new home myself.

Journal Entry 16 by dsc from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, March 20, 2006
Reserved for Karen/kitkat8

Journal Entry 17 by dsc at on Monday, March 20, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/20/2006 UTC) at

Sending to kitkat8.
Please send on to clarrie-rose next, thanks.
Edit 12.4.06: Then thistlechick73 would like it, thanks

Journal Entry 18 by riverwillow from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, March 22, 2006
The book arrived this morning, thank you. I've got another couple of rings/rays ahead of this one so it may take me a couple of weeks to get to and clarrie-rose already knows. But I am looking forward to reading this, especially after the fun of the Griff Rhys Jones, Rory McGrath and Dara O'Brien TV reconstruction, or whatever it was.

Journal Entry 19 by riverwillow from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, November 18, 2006
I've been trying to sort through my Planet TBR and get all the books that have come from other bookcrossers in one place so, while I am not studying, I can get them read and moving on. To my shame I found this book lurking close to the bottom. I am reading it now, and it shouldn't take that long and have PM'd clarrie-rose with apologies and asking for their address. I am so sorry and usually much better with ring books than this.

Journal Entry 20 by riverwillow from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, December 01, 2006
What a lovely book and I love the fact that nothing really happens. A wonderful gentle read.

clarrie-rose has asked to be skipped so I've asked for thistlechick73's address.

Journal Entry 21 by riverwillow from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Posted off today via surface mail to thistlechick73.

Journal Entry 22 by thistlechick73 from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, December 14, 2006
Thank you for sending this to me! I'll read it and pass it on =)