Jonathan Livingston Seagull

by Richard Bach | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by appaloosatb of Rochester, Minnesota USA on 8/22/2003
Journal Entry 1 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, August 22, 2003
This is penned inside the front cover. I wonder what this book's history is?

"ANN -
This book says much!!
Read it with your mind and not your eyes for so Jonathan would say...

'Don't believe what your eyes are telling y ou. All they show is limitations. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.'

Happiness Always,
Candy"

Journal Entry 2 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, August 22, 2003
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by appaloosatb at 917 1st Ave NW in Byron, Minnesota USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003
Released on Thursday, September 04, 2003 at 917 1st Ave NW in Byron, Minnesota USA.

at our garage sale on Fri & Sat

Journal Entry 4 by appaloosatb at through the mail in Byron, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 12, 2003
Released on Friday, December 12, 2003 at through the mail in Byron, Minnesota Controlled Releases.

Off to FL...

Journal Entry 5 by Rrravenita from Santa Ana, San José Costa Rica on Tuesday, December 23, 2003
Thanks so much for this book! I read it ages ago, and am very much looking forward to reading it again.

Journal Entry 6 by Rrravenita from Santa Ana, San José Costa Rica on Saturday, January 31, 2004
This is a book I read when I was very young. I thought it was about a seagull learning to fly (in a way it is, I suppose); I asked my mom what it was about and she said, "Reincarnation." That was that.
Now, as an adult, having read it again, the themes of attaining perfection in oneself, reaching nirvana, perhaps, are far more obvious. I enjoyed reading it again; in particular, the photos interspersed throughout the text add another dimension to the book.
My husband wants to read it, then it will be released for someone else to enjoy.

Journal Entry 7 by Rrravenita from Santa Ana, San José Costa Rica on Tuesday, April 06, 2004
This book has several loose pages, so I don't think it would be a good "wild release" candidate. Putting it up on BookRelay site.

Released on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Bookrelay, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Sending to GlasgowGal... enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by BC-08041015142 on Tuesday, May 04, 2004
Received in the mail this morning.
Thank you Rrravenita!
:-)

Journal Entry 10 by BC-08041015142 on Monday, May 24, 2004
I thought this was a lovely little book. I'm not big on philosophy as a rule, however the themes in this book really rang true for me (I'm a great believer in how you feel when you read a book really affects your perception of the messages within the text).

Thank you Rrravenita.

"Forget about faith!" Chiang said it time and again. "You didn't need faith to fly, you needed to understand flying. This is just the same. Now try again ..."

Journal Entry 11 by BC-08041015142 at on Wednesday, June 09, 2004
Released on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 at RABCK in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Sent to KathyS today

Journal Entry 12 by KathyS on Saturday, June 12, 2004
Arrived safely this morning - thanks GlasgowGal. This is one of those books that I've heard so much about over the years, yet have never got around to reading, so I'm looking forward to reading it when it reaches the top of Mount TBR :o)

Journal Entry 13 by KathyS on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
I can't believe that this wonderful little book has been languishing in Mt TBR for over a year - it only took me about 40 minutes to read it!

It may be brief but it is certainly profound. I'm not a religious person in the normal sense of the word but I do have very strong spiritual beliefs. And I believe that everyone is sent here for a purpose and with a skill. Jonathan's skill was to fly and his purpose was to fly to the absolute best of his ability and to learn all there is possibly to know about flying before passing this knowledge on. I just wonder what my skill and purpose are. I'm still looking and waiting for the answer! I know that one day I will know and then I can start flying too :o)

I plan to take this lovely little book, which has suffered for it's cause, to the 2005 UK Unconvention in Birmingham in the next couple of weeks. Unless anyone else wants it first ;o)

Journal Entry 14 by KathyS at on Saturday, June 25, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (7/2/2005 UTC) at

Into the mountain of books on the table. I hope if finds a new home :o)

Journal Entry 15 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 06, 2005
Hiyah Kathy, fancy me ending up with this?! Well, not me really, my DW picked it up from said mountain, and read it on the way home from Brum. She's not a bad person, but can't do the using-the-computer thing very well ;)

Anyway, nice to see you again (and Paul), the UnCon was great again wasn't it. See you next year, in...erm...Brighton, or even Toronto!!

ps. i'll probably read 'Seagull' and journal later :)

(7/07) Finished, review to follow

Journal Entry 16 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 18, 2005
This is a true ‘classic’ in the sense that everyone has read it; or thinks they have read it; or has seen it in Oxfam! A bit like ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho, which I *have* read, or the other one, The Prophet(?), which I haven’t.

Anyways, this left me a bit cold and irritated. Why irritated, surely it’s just a charming allegory about a Seagull (JL of the title) learning to fly, freeing himself from the shackles and prejudices of his kind, reaching a higher level of awareness? So far, so good. But, it all went a bit spiritual, preachy and ‘Buddhist’ for me; learning lessons at different levels of consciousness, travelling back and forward in time, flying into solid granite walls...you’ll just have to read the book. Or then again, don’t bother ;-)

Unfortunately this copy has seen better days, so I might send it to that great library in the sky c/o BookCemetery those fine custodians of the lost, damaged, abused & confused.

Journal Entry 17 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, January 14, 2006
Everyone at the Ipswich meet up assured me that I should read this, despite it being somewhat battered. Apparently, I need to get into an early 1970s mood to appreciate this, which will involve me going back to a previous life (as I am such a young pup) so this could be quite a challenge. I will attempt life-saving surgery on the book before I release it.

Journal Entry 18 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 12, 2006
Book has now been mended and looks fine to carry on for a few more readings. I quite enjoyed the book, but found it a little obvious in places. However, it was a nice reminder of some spiritual truths and a welcome change from my usual diet of politics and science. The book will eventually find its way to the Ipswich OBCZ, but we have a backlog of books at the moment so we are stockpiling books for the barren times.

Journal Entry 19 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, March 16, 2006
I read and loved this for the frist time when I was a child, so the fact that some of the philosphy seems a bit obvious now doesn;t detract from it for me. As a kid, it made me think, made me feel understood - I was fiercely independent and breathlessly curious about anything there ws to learn and it hit the spot.