Solitary Pleasures

by Nell Grey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Plume of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on 8/16/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Plume from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 16, 2003
The year is nineteen-ninety-five. Mattie is an original eccentric who lives on a decrepit houseboat called The Ark which is filled with animal-shaped artefacts. She has been in the habit of disappearing, on and off, since she was a little girl. She calls these episodes of time to herself her Solitary Pleasures.
She is now sixty-nine – or is it seventy? – and the family has gathered in the luxurious setting of her nephew’s large Victorian mock-Tudor house to discuss what's to be done about her latest escapade – falling into the canal and driving home stark naked.
Gerald – Mattie's nephew – is a local magistrate, and would like to get her settled into a safe ( safe from embarrassment for him, that is ) retirement in some suitable old people’s home, but the rest of the family have other ideas.
Then, during a demonstration of The Animal Rights Movement with which Mattie is involved her little dog bites the Chief Constable in a very tender part of his anatomy, and he swears vengeance.
Mattie disappears again, slipping away into the darkness of the woods after Gerald has bailed her out, and after finding Spike – her dog – in his favourite warren she finds herself drawn along the route of a similar journey made nearly twenty years before when her life collapsed in tragedy with the death of her only son and the infidelity of her husband.
As she retraces her steps along the old Way that follows the ridge of the Downs she remembers that strange haunted journey, and the events that preceded it and shaped her life, and how, at its end she became a stronger and fully independent woman.

If I said that this book has seen me through some difficult times, you might jump to quite the wrong conclusion...

Instead I'll just leave you with these verses.

Release the fingers of your hand,
Free me now into the land,
Where I'll travel who can know -
If you love me, let me go!

You may regard me as your child,
But let me loose into the wild
My way to make, my seeds to sow -

You know, you KNOW I cannot stay
Just close your eyes and quietly pray
My imperfections will not show -
If you love me, let me go!

Run your fingers down my spine,
Look upon me one more time,
Leave me in the neon's glow -

Journal Entry 2 by Plume at on Sunday, August 17, 2003
Released on Sunday, August 17, 2003 at Hanging in a tree outside the Argus offices. in brighton, England United Kingdom.

Hanging in a tree to the right of the entrance to Argus House publishing centre, Crowhurst Road, Hollingbury.