The Diary of a Nobody (Penguin Popular Classics)

Registered by estherase on 8/16/2003
Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Saturday, August 16, 2003
I love this book, pompous, gossipy and funny. Like some people I know.

Released on Friday, August 22, 2003 at Postal release in Postal release, England United Kingdom.

...off to Chris.

Journal Entry 3 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 30, 2003
This book just arrived in the post from Estherase - to whom I'm very grateful.

Will make a journal entry when I have had a chance to read it.

Journal Entry 4 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2004
I sat up in bed early this morning and started reading this. Took a snooze and then finished it about half an hour ago. (It's a restful day for me today, obviously!)

Charles Pooter provided me with a wonderful insight into the life and times of a clerk in London around 1892. It "first appeared as a serial in Punch magazine. Almost immediately, this comic saga of Mr and Mrs Pooter and their misfortunates proved itself to be a great success".

Weedon Grossmith had toured the "provinces of America, specializing in the representation of small, unhappy men who stand on their dignity and consequently become figures of fun ... very much like Mr Pooter". His dislike of modern changes and turns of phrase are of particular interest. I cannot help wondering how he would have viewed the online society that we enjoy today?

Thank you once again, Estherase. Charles Pooter lives today - those who glaze over when you speak of PCs, online communities, mailing lists serve to perpetuate his memory. Those who aren't yet pooter-literate, I suppose.

This is going out as a bookring, batting order as follows:

1. Laura0141
2. Jords
3. BookGroupMan - released 170704 at BCUK2004 Unconvention, Apres, Summerow Birmingham

Bookring no longer available.

Journal Entry 5 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2004
Book arrived safely and is #1 on TBR shelf!

Will journal when I've finished it :)

* * *

9 April 2004

I have just finished this great little read - the first BookCrossing book I've read. I found myself constantly reminded of my boss at my first job - pompus, funny without knowing it, but of good heart in his own way.

Adrian Mole - eat your heart out!

* * *

13 April 2004

Book to go to Jords - will post on next trip to PO.

Journal Entry 6 by Jords from Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, April 16, 2004
Received with thanks from Laura0141 as part of ring.

****

I found myself laughing out loud many a time during this book. I think that everyone can say that they know of a Mr & Mrs Pooter in their lives.

It's a wonderful book - full of light hearted humour and digs at Victorian values! Marvellous!

Journal Entry 7 by Jords from Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2004
On its way to Bookgroupman.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Thanks Jords, caught the book and postcard. Aaah, Preston at night, not an image (or thought) that would normally stir the imagination & emotions! I must go back and renew my acquaintance with Derek's books in the market and the fine central library, lit up and looking preddy :)

Journal Entry 9 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Mr Charles Pooter is a great comic character; pathetic and pompous, but moral, innocent & honest, and resilient to the trials and tribulations of his ‘ordinary’ life. The satire is as fresh and believable now as if it was written yesterday, not over 100 years ago. Pooter could be a Monty Python character (John Cleese, probably), Captain Mannering, Basil Fawlty (JC again), any man, of any era, beaten down by life’s outrageous fortunes. I’m sure its part of the human condition to laugh at people and situations that we recognise ;-)

The humour is gentle, no belly-laughs, maybe a little slow and unsophisticated for modern tastes? I enjoyed it for a change.

At one point, the younger of the brother-authors, Weedon, toured with a theatre company in America, specializing in the ‘representation of small, unhappy men who stand on their dignity and consequently become figures of fun’. A perfect description of Mr P, although I don't see him as unhappy. Naivety brings its own reward in the end...

(Back to Gooner I presume, awaiting further instructions)

Journal Entry 10 by BookGroupMan at on Sunday, July 18, 2004
Released on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at BCUK 2004 Unconvention @ Apres Bar, Summerrow in Birmingham, England Controlled Releases.

I saw Gooner at the unconvention (we must stop meeting like this), and she gave me permission to pass this book on. More BCers should read and enjoy Pooterism!

Journal Entry 11 by MuttleyUK from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2004
Taken from the pile at the Unconvention, many thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by MuttleyUK from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, May 08, 2005
Passed on to ChinaSourcer.

Journal Entry 13 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, May 08, 2005
Received.

Journal Entry 14 by ChinaSourcer at on Friday, May 13, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/14/2005 UTC) at

Journal Entry 15 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2005
This book was handed back to me at the Ipswich BC Meet-up today by ChinaSourcer. I hope to rekindle interest in it by more recent members of BC, so that its itinerary will be extended.