From the Four Corners

by Jan Morris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by estherase on 8/16/2003
Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Saturday, August 16, 2003
Penguin 60 destined to go off somewhere as a little bonus...

Release planned for Tuesday, September 02, 2003 at Postal release in Postal release, England United Kingdom.

...and here it goes!

Journal Entry 3 by kittiwake on Thursday, September 04, 2003
Arrived this morning, as an unexpected extra in a parcel from estherase. Many thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by kittiwake on Friday, September 12, 2003
This is the first time I've read any of Jan Morris's travel writing and I don't think I'll be reading any more. I don't like her tone at all as she describes Manhattan, Sydney, Delhi and Vienna.

Journal Entry 5 by kittiwake on Friday, January 09, 2004
Off to YowlYY as an added extra with another book.

Journal Entry 6 by YowlYY on Monday, January 12, 2004
I love surprises... and even more if they're books about travelling! Now, after having read the review by kittiwake I am very curious... I will post my opinion on Jan Morris' book in due time... Thanks for that, it made me smile (despite my day will be dedicated to accounting...yuck!).

Journal Entry 7 by YowlYY on Friday, August 12, 2005
I've had this now over a year, and despite its shortness I cannot see myself reading it any time soon. However, knowing that Bookgroupman collects these small penguins, I am going to RABCK it to him...off to a happy home, and if he has it already in the collection, maybe it could be passed on to someone with less books on the own bookshelf? ;)

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005
A RABCK from Gabrielle. I've read some of Jan Morris's travel writing before, and here in this Penguin 60 she visits 2 cities (well 2 of 4) that I know and love. Thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 03, 2006
I think I know what Kittiwake means, Jan Morris does come across as a bit supercilious and the language & construction is fussy. But, for me, the greatest crime of a travel writer, she doesn’t seem to enjoy travelling or experiencing new cities and cultures; a bit jaded maybe? That said, I enjoyed the descriptions of Manhattan as a provincial old maid of a city, and Australians as ‘ockers’ clinging to the edge of civilisation and lacking in self confidence(!) I haven’t been to Delhi or Vienna, but I would (of course) make my own mind up ;)

Thank you Yowlyy and all. This is ready to move on; i'm collecting the Penguin 70's not this set, but it was good to read it all the same :)

Journal Entry 10 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, December 09, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (12/9/2006 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Bringing along to today's meet-up; this may be small enough to slip into someone's bag unnoticed ;)

Journal Entry 11 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, January 01, 2007
Like the previous readers, I found Jan Morris' displeasure in the cities she describes a bit off-putting. Although, I found this less annoying than the I-had-a-brilliant-time-and mentally-grew-and-became-a-more-profound-person-than-you-ever-will school of travel writing. In addition, I found her description of New York (the only city I had visited) to be quite spot-on so I gave her a few bonus marks.

Journal Entry 12 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2007
I've never read any Jan Morris but I remember her popping up in one of Paul Theroux's travel books and have been intrigued ever since.

Damn I'm thirsty. It's all this skying about Ipswich in search of BookCrossers!

Journal Entry 13 by bertietheBCbear from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007
turquoisefloyd says:

Bertie The Infamous BookCrossing Bear nicked this from my pile of availables - I don't know if this means he wants to read it?

We shall see!

Journal Entry 14 by bertietheBCbear from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007
BTW, for the curious, this is he at the May Ipswich Meet:

BookCrossing 002

Released 12 yrs ago (9/4/2007 UTC) at Riverside Inn at Victoria Road in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

Bertie's first release!

Journal Entry 16 by wingbooktwitcherwing from Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Picked up at Chelmsford BC. Have read JM's books before and found her very interesting - it seems from other bookcrossers that this condensing does her no favours.

Journal Entry 17 by wingbooktwitcherwing from Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, October 21, 2007
How bitchy James has become on becoming Jan! I much preferred James' writing to Jan's and could not finish this.

Released 12 yrs ago (10/22/2007 UTC) at Spinnaker Tower Coffee Shop in Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom

Give or take an hour.

Journal Entry 19 by queenofwoodland from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2007
We found this book at the top of the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth! What a charming idea! I have brought it back to Woodlands in the New Forest to read, then my parents are taking it on holiday January, to Vietnam! We shall see where it ends up!

CAUGHT IN PORTSMOUTH HAMPSHIRE UK