Choke: A Novel

by Chuck Palahniuk | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0385720920 Global Overview for this book
Registered by masiosare of Somerville, Massachusetts USA on 8/9/2003
Journal Entry 1 by masiosare from Somerville, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, August 09, 2003
I found this book very provocative and sad.

Released on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at Trident Booksellers and Cafe, 388 Newbury St in Boston, Massachusetts USA.

Released at meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by nillabreen from Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2003
I got this at the meetup tonight. It seems like this author's books are face out in every bookstore. And it seems like everything he writes is reviewed at length in my favorite book review magazine, "Rain Taxi". Time to see what the buzz is about. Thanks, masiosare!

Journal Entry 4 by nillabreen from Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
Victor Mancini thinks nothing matters to him and behaves with no heed for consequences. He pretends to choke in restaurants so other people can think they saved him, and then he hits them up for money. He's a sex addict but not really working too hard at recovery. His mother is a patient at the Constant Care Center, and her health is failing fast. Victor pretends to be one of her defense attorneys when he visits, because she likes them better. He keeps extensive notes about all the little details of the defense attorneys' lives as his mother thinks they should be, so that he can present his mother with the most unobjectionable person possible on each visit. Meanwhile he boinks all the nurses and makes sure everyone else is thoroughly disgusted with him.

Victor is a medical school dropout who works at Colonial Dunsboro, dressed in period clothes to entertain tourists. He works in a place that is stuck in the past just as he himself is trapped by his own past (oh the intricate web of theme!)

Victor's best friend Denny gives up obsessive sex for obsessive rock collecting. Denny then actually starts to construct something with his rocks, while Victor's mother bemoans her past full of rebellion and fighting against everything, tearing down institutions till she is old and lonely because nothing was ever good enough. (eh, eh! more themes!)

But the intriguing Paige Marshall allows Victor to entertain the possibility that maybe, just maybe, he isn't just a big asshole. After an emotional (and disgustingly literal) catharsis, Victor takes some baby steps toward building up something good in his life instead of just screwing himself over at every opportunity. The ending is rife with redemption.

This was a fine book if you like your fiction heavy on the thematic elements. (There are more, besides those mentioned here.) Personally, I'd like a little more story with my themes. But this book is good for what it is. It's a fine example of the genre. (That would be the angst, confusion, and bitter irony genre.)

Journal Entry 5 by nillabreen from Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
sending to bookcrosser oldreader for a book relay

Journal Entry 6 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Thursday, February 05, 2004
just arrived in mail.starting to readnow.his books are soooo good drop all others when 1 arrives.

Journal Entry 7 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Sunday, February 08, 2004
This was a very strange book.Was intrigued by the mom .there was a very interesting character.Was this an imaginati0n or what.the author writes in a style all his own.perhaps that is why I keep reading his books cover to cover ion a short period of time.Each one has very repulive parts and parts that compel you to read more to see what happen to the chatacters.mailing tosleone next week.

Journal Entry 8 by sleone from Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Received today, thank you1

Journal Entry 9 by sleone from Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, March 23, 2004
This is the first book I've read by this author. As I told a co-worker it's about "one sick sucker". Intriguing, very graphic and quite funny and pathetic.

Journal Entry 10 by sleone from Oakland, California USA on Sunday, April 11, 2004
Offering as a bookring.This is the order:

Grover3d, WV- will ship anywhere
Goatgrrl-in British Columbia , Canada-prefers to ship internationally
Mom-of-one,PA will ship internationally
Fingerart,England

Please either journal or PM me when you receive it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by sleone at post office in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 14, 2004
Released on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at post office in BOOKRAY, Bookray Controlled Releases.

sent to grover3d as the first reader

Journal Entry 12 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Received today. I have a couple of ray/ring books in front of it but I'll get to it ASAP. Thanks.

Journal Entry 13 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2004
This is my second Palahnuik and I definitely enjoyed LULLABY far more. CHOKE is a good but not great book.....none of the characters really resonated with me and while I enjoyed the dark humor in LULLABY, I just found this one depressing (and the parts about Victor wearing his work clothes around town didn't phase me at all....I lived in Williamsburg, VA and got quite used to seeing smithies at the grocery store!). Thanks for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 14 by goatgrrl from New Westminster, British Columbia Canada on Friday, May 21, 2004
Choke arrived in this morning's mail, and I was delighted to receive it. I'll probably start reading it tomorrow, and should have it back in the mail by the end of next week. A compliment to everyone who read this book before me -- it's (still) in beautiful condition, and looks like it's scarcely been read. What a wonderful thing to see!

Journal Entry 15 by goatgrrl from New Westminster, British Columbia Canada on Monday, May 24, 2004
I really enjoyed this book, and took advantage of the fact today was a holiday in Canada to read almost the entire thing in one day. nillabreen has already provided a great plot synopsis (above), so I won't cover the same territory here. Suffice to say I loved the black humour, the sad descriptions of life with "the Mommy", the thoughtful -- though irreverent -- observations on "sex addiction" and the ultimate message of redemption. Our lives are always, and continually, launderable ... for this I'm thankful! Thanks very much, everyone, for keeping this book moving smoothly from reader to reader.

Mailed to Mom-of-one on June 3, 2004 (a couple days later than expected - sorry!). At left: the Fraser River as seen from the top of my street in New Westminster, British Columbia.

Journal Entry 16 by Mom-of-one from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, June 08, 2004
I can't wait to start in on this book! Chuck Palahniuk is awesome. For those of you who enjoyed this book --- check out Lullaby --- It's one of my all time favorite books.