91/2 Weeks

by Elizabeth McNeill | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by onesmartcookie of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 8/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by onesmartcookie from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 04, 2003
The author, Elizabeth McNeill is a psuedonym. (for obvious reasons)

If you have seen the movie then this is a more brutally intense version of the same.

A high paid executive becomes her lover's slave once she is with him. She is told what to do. He feeds her, bathes her, dresses her and choreographes her every move sexually and otherwise. She becomes the submissive and falls desperately in love with the man who holds her powerless. As a woman, I can see the sexual attraction but throughout the book there are triggers that quickly alert me that this is wrong. Fortunately, you will find out if she sees this as well. How far will you venture to follow out your partner's whim?

"This is not fantasy. It is the actual night by night diary of a woman who gave herself unconditionally for nine and a half weeks to a man she hardly knew... It is perhaps the most powerful erotic book ever written by a woman"

Due to the heavy sexual content, this book will not be released into the wilds and I will opt for a book ring.

Journal Entry 2 by onesmartcookie from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 08, 2003
A bookray has been formed:
ellymae58
boutish
bookwormmom2
andycap14
onesmartcookie

I am interested to hear what you think!

Journal Entry 3 by onesmartcookie at -- Controlled Release in Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 28, 2003
Released on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 at Being mailed to a fellow BookCrosser to read and release. in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Being mailed to Boutish for a long forgotten book ray. Sorry!

Journal Entry 4 by boutish on Saturday, November 15, 2003
I received the book yesterday. I'll try to read it as soon as possible but I have to finish another book before.
Thanks for organising this ring

Journal Entry 5 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Friday, February 13, 2004
I received this book in the mail today. Thanks for sending it on!

Journal Entry 6 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Thursday, February 26, 2004
I have one word for this book: riveting! I received it in the mail and started to thumb through it, just scanning it. One and half hours later, I had finished it, just taking out time to feed my dogs. Then I reread it at a slower pace after I had gotten over the shock somewhat. This is a very violently erotic book. I couldn't believe some of the things described in it. It all boils down to the absolute debasement of a human being caught in the throes of addiction, of any kind! The addict will do anything for that next fix! It was a real eye opener for me though, and thanks for sending it on. I'll get it in the mail as soon as I get an address to send it to.

Journal Entry 7 by Eskielover from Olympia, Washington USA on Wednesday, March 03, 2004
I sent this book on to nefertari today!

Journal Entry 8 by wingnefertariwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2004
Received this this evening. Thanks Eskielover! I'll read it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 9 by wingnefertariwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 15, 2004
I didn't really like this very much. It was interesting, to see the kinds of things it was possible to convince her to do before she decided enough was enough, but I felt the way it was written was a little confusing and didn't really make the story seem like it had lasted as long as it did. This isn't really a lifestyle that I comprehend, and the book didn't really help with that, mostly - I think - because McNeill didn't really know what she was letting herself in for.

Will send this on as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 10 by wingnefertariwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2004
On its way to Zyana.

Journal Entry 11 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, April 06, 2004
Received today, will place on my TBR pile but I have a hunch I might succumb to reading it on a lunch break very soon!

Journal Entry 12 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, April 07, 2004
As predicted I finished this one off today after lunch. I expected something completely different, much more exhilarating and dense. Instead it striked me as a rather lukewarm account off a rollercoaster ride that lasted 9 1/2 weeks.

Will mail today to the next BC on the ray.

Journal Entry 13 by jenh from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2004
Caught - Thanks I will read asap.

Journal Entry 14 by jenh from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 13, 2004
Interesting book. I expected it to be more "candid", but the story was told in a kind of offhand, dreamy way. It's not really what I expected, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Have PM'ed the next person on the list ;)

Journal Entry 15 by jenh from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 16, 2004
It's on it's way to the next person in the ring - I posted it today.

Journal Entry 16 by bookwormmom2 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 14, 2004
I was away for a few days and found the book 9 l/2 WEEKS waiting for me on my return. I plan to read it as soon as I finish another book which I've already started.

Journal Entry 17 by bookwormmom2 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 26, 2004
I ended up reading this in one sitting and as I turned the last page I must admit that I was disappointed - mostly because in the end I was left with more questions than answers.

I found the bizarre sequence of events that took place over 9 l/2 weeks written in a very detached way, which I found hard to comprehend. Is it possible to experience something so unbelievable and yet write about it in such a detached way? It didn't come across as being very traumatic which surprised me. What was missing from her life to make her completely surrender herself to someone? How can one go from being a 'supposedly' intelligent professional during the day to a thief by night? Isn't there a point where ones conscience dictates their actions? What finally made her decide she'd had enough? Unfortunately, the book didn't provide me with satisfactory answers to these questions.

Mailing to andycap14 later today.

Journal Entry 18 by bookwormmom2 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, November 01, 2004
9 l/2 Weeks was returned to me in the mail (undeliverable). Andycap14 moved so I am resending this tomorrow to the new address provided. I hope this arrives safely.

Journal Entry 19 by Bibliotender from Fontana, California USA on Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Received yesterday after a long trip back and forth across the border. Thanks you for sending this twice.

Journal Entry 20 by Bibliotender from Fontana, California USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
An interesting book, it seems to have been written in a way to captivate the reader. I don’t think the author intended that the book be liked by everybody but that it grabbed the reader by the brain and forced them to turn the next page to see what was she was going to do next. I enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for offering this book for us to read. As requested, I will offer it up in the forums for the next reader.

Journal Entry 21 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Monday, December 27, 2004
I have just received this one in the post. Will be reading shortly and journalling again.]

UPdate: 12/29/04 Just finished reading this a.m. This book totally captivated me. I was not able to put it down once. It so amazed me that a person could find herself so in the power of another human being(or is it your own addiction to needing at that time to be powerless) that she submits to some of the most self-depricating acts imaginable.

What makes her decide that enough is enough... it seems to be once others become involved in the procedure and once it seems that his desire is unsatiable, but the reader does not know this to be a fact. Having never seen the movie, perhaps I shall rent it this weekend just to be able to say that I have seen it as well as have read the book.

Mailing out today, after my son's dentist appointment to Sunshinedreem in Maryland. Enjoy! :-) and Happy New Year!

Journal Entry 22 by sunshinedreem from Frederick, Maryland USA on Monday, January 03, 2005
received in the mail today, thanks!

Journal Entry 23 by sunshinedreem from Frederick, Maryland USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2005
This book totally amazed me and once I started reading it I just couldn't put it down! What a perfect time to receive it as I couldn't decide what to read next!

It did seem as others have said that the book was written in such a detached way that it was hard to see exactly what this life was like for her, but at the same time it was still very interesting!

I won't be wild releasing this, but will offer it as a trade to another bookcrosser!

Journal Entry 24 by sunshinedreem from Frederick, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 05, 2005
Sending as an RABCK to hfitz5051, enjoy!!

book was mailed today, 1/6/05

Journal Entry 25 by hfitz5051 from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2005
This came in the mail today. I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you!

Journal Entry 26 by hfitz5051 from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, January 17, 2005
This was a good book. Once I started reading it, I had to finish. I could not understand why anyone would submit themselves to this.
I am going to offer this as RABCK next month(after I move and get settled).

Journal Entry 27 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005
This arrived to KelRhonJen (LOL) today. (lthough the Rhon part of KelRhonJen already has a copy.)
Strangely enough, I was on the original bookray for this book. I remember requesting to be taken off because I was being inundated by rings/rays and the madness had to stop!

Glad this has made its way into my hands. By the looks of it, it appears to be a quick, easy read, if the thickness of the book (not very) and the text size (on the large side) are any indication!

I think I will save this book unti April - this will be a good one for the plane ride out to Texas!!

Thanks for sharing with me! And thanks to the Jen part of KelRhonJen for accepting this book on the relay for me.

Journal Entry 28 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, March 03, 2005
Offered in "Erotica".

Journal Entry 29 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, March 05, 2005
I found this book to be a bit disappointing overall. I was amazed how anyone could give up so much control to another person. And it did seem she was very detached from her story - but then again, maybe if you experienced something like this, you'd have to be. I'm curious to know what happened to the author - if she moved on and was able to sustain a "normal", healthy relationship.

I will admit that there were pages in this book that had me shaking my head because I was so lost. A very odd writing style, to say the least. The ending was the worst I think I've ever read in any book. The events leading up to the end just seemed rushed..kinda like let'sgethisbookoverwithalready.

Journal Entry 30 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, March 10, 2005
This book is heading to three104 on 3/18. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 31 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Monday, March 28, 2005
Arrived today -- will journal more after I read it.

Journal Entry 32 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Friday, April 01, 2005
How can someone give themselves over to another like that? It happens all the time, look around you, but to totally give up possesion of yourself. Things started getting bizarre for me when he was changing her tampons for her. Huh? I've been married for 8 years and if you even breathe a word about it, he is running. The new lust in a new relationship is understandable. Trying a few things is understandable. But letting him beat you, and LIKING it, is not normal. How strange. I have seen the movie, but didn't know exactly what the story was about. I might have to go back and see if any of this comes out in it. Definately not what I was expecting but interesting and captivating all the same.

Journal Entry 33 by ThreeSixNine at on Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (4/19/2005 UTC) at

Sending to cosmoluvr as part of a trade. Hope you like it.

Journal Entry 34 by glitterspank from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Saturday, April 23, 2005
RECEIVED AS PART OF A TRADE FROM THREE104 - THANKS!

Journal Entry 35 by glitterspank from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Sunday, April 24, 2005
Unbelievable. I really didn't find the movie so shocking when I saw it, but the book is just horrifying. I agree that the writing style is certainly odd, maybe that's a result of the trauma that you'd have to feel after coming through something like that and maybe just not really knowing how to fully express exactly what it was like. I can't imagine what would make someone crave or enjoy such treatment, too bad it wasn't a shrink she met at the street fair instead of this freak. Still , the part of me that is so inexplicably fascinated with subcultures and strange lifestyles enjoyed reading it. I'd love to know what her life turned out to be like afterward.