The Golden Age Of Science Fiction

Registered by eastbaybookmisr of Oakland, California USA on 2/24/2011
Journal Entry 1 by eastbaybookmisr from Oakland, California USA on Thursday, February 24, 2011
1980 Bonanza Books hardcover, with dust jacket, edited by Groff Conklin, with a Preface by John W. Campbell, Jr., of the 1953 revised edition of the 1946 collection of classic stories, 1843-1945. I bought this copy way back when at the Merritt College bookstore.

I can let this go after I read:
1909 Tono-Bungay [read 2015]
1990 Robot Visions (Robot book 3) [read 2013]
1969 Feminine Intuition (short story) [read 2014]
1974 That Thou Art Mindful of Him (short story) [read 2015]
1976 The Bicentennial Man (novelette) [read 2017]
1992 The Positronic Man (based on Bicentennial Man, robot book 4) [not yet read]
1954 The Caves of Steel (robot book 5) [not yet read]
1957 The Naked Sun (robot book 6) [not yet read]
1983 The Robots of Dawn (robot book 7) [not yet read]
1985 Robots and Empire (robot book 8) [not yet read]
1951 The Stars, Like Dust (Empire, book 1; The Rebellious Stars) [not yet read]
1952 The Currents of Space (Empire book 2) [not yet read]
1950 Pebble in the Sky [read 2009]
1945 Blind Alley (short story) [read 2018]

Edit May 29, 2018: This is a terrific collection of the classics. But after a few more decades of technological and astronomical development, and popular science fiction films, some of the ideas presented here are a bit pedestrian now, rather than mind-blowing, since I bought this so long ago. For example, we have since had the entire Alien series, the Blade Runner films, the Matrix series, the Terminator series, the creation of the Internet and Smart phones, Dark Matter and Dark Energy theory, Multiverse theory, String Theory, the fall of the Soviet Union, the resurrection of Islamic jihad, Hubble Space Telescope and its successors, the entire Space Shuttle program from beginning to end and its replacement by private launches, the mass proliferation of satellites, discovery of hundreds or thousands of deep space planets, the comet impact on Jupiter, landings with robots on Mars, closeup missions to the gas giant planets, SETI program, the spread of AI and Robotics, genetic decoding and engineering, the rise and leveling of AIDS epidemic, GMOs, flatscreens, digital photography and video, CDs, DVDs, flash drives, e-books, e-movies, social media, cell phones, wireless, high-speed, the complete origin and decline history of PCs, graphics processors, machine defeat of all human game experts, and so much more that has now made its way into science fiction literature.

Released 2 yrs ago (5/29/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library at 393 Hampton Road in Piedmont, California USA

... in the box.

Please look her up on Google and YouTube. You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram, among other platforms.