The Road To Nab End

by William Woodruff | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 04, 2003
There was less to this than meets the eye, a strangely soulless account of a tough upbringing, the poverty & hardship in a dying turn-of-the century Lancashire cotton town (Blackburn). I couldn’t really get my head around the whole, ‘poor but dignified’ ethic, especially the aborted trip to American (but maybe that’s my problem ;-). I’ve read better autobiographies this year, where the writer had less raw material (some of Woodruff’s detail was unrelenting – needed some tougher editing?), and built a more structured, humorous & empathetic story. Even biographies have got to engage the reader and tell a story, and need a narrative flow, otherwise its just so much newsprint & social history?

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Wednesday, April 14, 2004
Released on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at to another bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Posted to the very generous fellow BCer and BookCrossingUK stalwart Steve (NetStation) to read, release, pass on - as you wish :0)

ps. ignore my review (a bit negative/critical i'm afraid?), lots of peeps have loved this, including my DW

Journal Entry 3 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 19, 2004
Caught when I finally got home yesterday! Thanks Tony. I already have a copy of this, not yet registered, so I plan to use this one to restock the Stratford OBCZ.

I don't think your review was too harsh. I just looked at my book journal where I wrote "Social history with dialogue" so it sounds like I wasn't too impressed either. Perhaps it will find a sympathetic new reader in the Midlands.