Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (International Writers)

by Patrick Suskind | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0140120831 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/14/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 14, 2011
This was given to me by a work colleague who's having a clear out. My journal entry from a previous copy is below.

From the cover:
"Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, born in eighteenth-century Paris and abandoned on the street, discovers he has an extraordinary - almost superhuman sense of smell. As he sniffs his way across france, this gift is exploited by Grenouille to make the world's most marvellous perfumes. Yet in seeking perfection in his experiments he realises that a vital ingredient is missing for the perfect scent: innocence. And in order to get the ingredient he needs, he must capture it - whatever the price."

Despite my own poor sense of smell which left me unable to imagine most the exotic whiffs conjured up in this novel, I found the story engrossing and enjoyable. If anyone fancies a short and brutal read that will make you see the most humble scent in a whole new light, then this is the book for you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (2/22/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to KawasakiBabe

Journal Entry 3 by KawasakiBabe at -- By post or by hand --, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 24, 2011
Wow - sent to me as a RABCK. Thank you so much LittleSuz; it's the lovely little kind gestures like this that keep the world smiling.
Keep your eye on the post - I'm just reading a book I'll send to you shortly.

Journal Entry 4 by KawasakiBabe at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
I give very few books a 10, but there is something compelling about this tale. I've read it twice in the last couple of years, and both times I have been gripped. For a start, it's all about scents and smells, which are so difficult to describe; yet I swear I get the pong of France's 18th century crowded streets and markets in the first few chapters; and it's almost possible to smell Grenouille's 7 years of madness on the hillside!
With the tantalising ribbons of beautiful scent threading their way through this book, and Grenouille's lonely existence, it is almost possible to forgive him his dark and devious deeds!

Saving for Plum-crazy: I haven't seen it on her bookshelf (all 85 pages of it!!)

Journal Entry 5 by KawasakiBabe at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (8/8/2011 UTC) at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be passed on to Plum_crazy in our very first meet-up, in the Americano coffee / book shop in Bradford Road (Brighouse, not Whitby. My apologies to the Whitby Bookcrossers who've been misinfomed!)

Thanks LittleSuz - passing on to another bookcrosser. xx

Journal Entry 6 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 08, 2011
Picked out of a bag of goodies received from KawasakiBabe today....& am already on page 48!
I hadn't heard of this book before but so far I am hooked - thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 10, 2011
If I'd seen this book on a shelf I would never have chosen it for myself - so thanks so much KawasakiBabe for passing it onto me - I would have missed a treat!

I've been totally engrossed for the last day or so. The only way I can think of to describe this book is that it's like a fairy tale for adults....after all, there's something magical about the way Grenouille manages to mix up his perfumes & potions....but it's much more besides - I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. The only other thing I can think of to say is I LOVED it!

It will travelling to Annimanni soon who "won" it in my "Smelly RABCK" draw (by guessing that my favourite smell is vanilla!)....hope she enjoys it as much as I did :o)

Read as part of the 2011 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE (#104)

Journal Entry 8 by wingPlum-crazywing at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (8/17/2011 UTC) at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Annimanni, along with a little something I found that is supposed to be vanilla scented....

Released as part of the 2011 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE
& the AUGUST ONE WORD Challenge (#10)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, August 22, 2011
Arrived safely, thank you! And thanks also for the beautiful card and the sachet, that smells a bit like vanilla :) What a lovely parcel to receive on a dull, rainy day!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 23, 2018
It took a few years, but I finally picked up this book to read it while travelling in northern France. And what a sensuous treat it was! I finished reading it in Paris, which added to the pleasure. To summarise, I've stolen words from the previous journal entries. This is a brutal fairytale for adults – and warmly recommended! Thank you for sharing.

Released 6 mos ago (7/23/2018 UTC) at Centre Georges Pompidou (Beaubourg) in Paris, Ile-de-France France

I left the book next to the ticket counter. Enjoy!