The Restoration of Emily

by Kim Moritsugu | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by megami-no-ushi of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 2/12/2011
Journal Entry 1 by megami-no-ushi from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 12, 2011
Picked up from the sale table at Chapters last summer since I'm interested in Japanese-Canadian authors. to be read in time for the Canada Day release challenge.

From the back:
Architect and single mother Emily Harada has structured a well-ordered existence around her work restoring historic houses and the parenting of her teenage son, Jesse. But her carefully laid foundation cracks when she develops a nagging ache in her shoulder, has her architectural integrity questioned, and feels shut out by Jesse's assertions of independence. What she doesn't need right now - or does she? - are the romantic attentions of a former student, an attractive but much younger man. Or for an old acquaintance to resurface with questions about a Bronze Age artifact that Emily might have, uh, stolen, once upon a time, in her youth.

Emily, her son, and the 2,000-year-old artifact all come of age in this funny and moving novel about motherhood, middle age, and one woman's attempt to restore herself to a state of grace that combines the best elements of past and present, old and new.

To the finder:
Welcome to bookcrossing! You have "caught" what we call a "travelling book." It is now your book to keep or to read and pass on to another reader and follow where the book goes. This is done by journal entries, so I really hope you'll journal it, if only to tell me you found it. You can do this anonymously, or sign up (free and private, no spam) and also be able to follow the book as it travels! If you do, please consider listing me, megami-no-ushi as your referring member.

Released 9 yrs ago (5/14/2011 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May "Canada" meeting to be swapped or else held onto for the canada day release challenge.

Perhaps I'm a bit young for this book about a 50 year old woman finding herself swept into circumstances that challenge the rut she's been in. I wasn't sure where the pessimism came from but otherwise it was an interesting character study.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 3 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Picked up at the May meet-up of the Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Happy to read and provide a "next generation" opinion on this book!

Journal Entry 4 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 23, 2011
I really anticipated reading this book, after megami-no-ushi's comments.

Funny how much I related to parts of this book. Being about the same age as the central character, I could related to her inner cynical commentary while trying not to speak out loud. I didn't see her a pessimistic as much as having a low tolerance for BS.

I've lived through agonizing parent teacher conference, feeling like I was being chastized from my offsprings failings. I wanted to take a highlighter to those pages!

All in all, I considered this a great book and perhaps it will find one more reader before it's released for the Canada Day challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 23, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (6/11/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this book to the June Calgary BookCrossing meet-up at the Joshua Tree Café.
================================
DEAR FINDER,

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing Fracula as referring you.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2011
Caught today at the Calgary Bookcrosser's meetup. Looks interesting. just hope it doesn't stay too long on my TBR mountain.

Journal Entry 7 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 21, 2014
OMG! I had no idea that I had been holding on to this book for as long as I had. Thank goodness that Emily had kicked and clawed her way to the top of my TBR pile because I really enjoyed this book! I thought that Emily was a terrific character from my generation and age. There was so much of this story that I could connect with, although I question how she dealt with the secret stash. LOL
Thank you for suggesting this one to me, it was great, and I will bring it back to the next meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by wingherchellewing at -- Controlled Release in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (3/8/2014 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Looking for the next reader at the Calgary Bookcrossing meetup tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 09, 2014
Picked up at the March Calgary Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 10 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2014
Got 1/3 way thru and gave up - couldn't get myself into Emily's character. Passing it along to someone at our April bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 11 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2014
received at Cravings Market Restaurant Calgary, Alberta Saturday April 12, 2014

Journal Entry 12 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 07, 2014
Controlled release from Calgary Book Crossing meeting October 11, 2014

Journal Entry 13 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 14, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (6/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

controlled release

Journal Entry 14 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 11, 2015
A box of 22 books arrived from Hovey, to be returned to the Calgary BookCrossing group.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 15 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 11, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (12/12/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the December meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 16 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 12, 2015
Safely in my hands

Journal Entry 17 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, March 09, 2016
This was an interesting story as the women was similar age to me...and despite the fact that she is single, her life is much more interesting than mine.

I really enjoyed the architecture aspect of the book.

Journal Entry 18 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 12, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/12/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at Cravings - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 14, 2016
Well - picked this up at the March meet up at Cravings. Good to see everyone again!

Journal Entry 20 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 11, 2018
I enjoyed this book about how complicated life can be as a single Mom and someone who takes pride in their career. Also about how your past can reappear, whether you want it to or not.

Journal Entry 21 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am hoping that I am well enough to go to the January meetup at Cravings to send this book on to it's next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Caught at last book meeting

Journal Entry 23 by B-Lynn at -- Controlled Release in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (2/11/2019 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Calgary, Alberta Canada

A very enjoyable book for people of a certain age group! Emily definitely has her own way of thinking and made some interesting choices throughout the story - an armlet; at a school dance; her friends secrets - but she pulled it together by the end of the story.