The Dickinson Papers

by Mark Ragg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 2/9/2011
Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, February 09, 2011
FROM THE BACK COVER:
A priceless exhibition of the papers of poet Emily Dickinson goes missing on arrival in Sydney. Jock, a lonely single father who loves poems, books and stories of all kinds, starts to follow the newspaper articles about the theft, and finds himself increasingly drawn to the mysterious and brilliant Lola, the curator of the exhibition.

I found this unregistered book in a pile of BookCrossing books at the Red Cross Blood Bank in Garran, ACT, so I took it to register. The book has already travelled. The sticker on the back belongs to a book seller in Paddington, Brisbane, Queensland.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/26/2011 UTC) at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I discovered this is not my kind of book and I only read a little.

I am releasing it at the monthly Canberra BookCrossing meet. This month it's held at King O’Malley’s pub in Civic, ACT. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 26, 2011
Picked up at the February BC meetup at King O'Malley's in Civic. Thanks goldenwattle.

This looks interesting. I like books about books / authors, and mysteries with puzzles and clues. And to top it all off it's set in Sydney. (It's nice to be reading on home turf once in a while.)

Journal Entry 4 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 26, 2011
Rating: almost 8*
This started slowly for me, I pushed on and got to about page 100 before I became more interested. Maybe it was me - but that’s why I’m dropping it slightly down from an 8*. That and because one little clue at the end was a bit of a stretch on the logic.
But I enjoyed this book. I thought it was clever and it appealed to me as a former literature student - although you don’t have to be one to appreciate the references to other books and poetry. And I came to love the quirky style of using different media to tell the story. It was a refreshing change from a straight narrative - I loved the included snippets and poems. It gave you a more immediate sense of the action and included you in the hunt first hand, direct from the evidence. (I guessed it before the end but the solution was still (mostly) satisfying.)
A good and clever read and I enjoyed the journey.

(Reserved for nikkilovesbooks.)

Journal Entry 5 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 26, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/30/2011 UTC) at Yass, New South Wales Australia

Sending in the next couple of days to nikkilovesbooks in the NT who has this on her wishlist.
Cheers and Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 6 by nikkilovesbooks at Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, July 18, 2011
I have been wanting to read this for AGES after reading a favourable review about the book. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!