Have a Little Faith

by Mitch Albom | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 2/6/2011
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, February 06, 2011
A very kind donation from a colleague, for me to read and share with BookCrossers old and new. Thank you :)

(13/02)…but, that doesn’t make it a good book :( Ok, so I guess Albom had to run out of material some time, as he plunders the pseudo-religious spiritual locker for new insights. It all feels a bit contrived, but then I’m maybe being unfair? Albom is asked to write the eulogy for his boyhood Rabbi, so spends what turns out to be many years visiting and talking with Albert ‘Reb’ Lewis, and learning about the older man’s faith and along the way he also questions his own life, beliefs and priorities. Also, in a slightly random alternating storyline, MA meets up with bad boy turned Christian preacher Henry Covington and learns his story. Both Reb and Henry are larger-than-life charismatic orators, genuinely caring & passionate men, who share a ‘blind’ faith in a higher power. What strikes this agnostic as wholly frustrating and implausible, is that they both accept unquestioningly the existence of a God – a different God – as an all-powerful blame-free creator. If things go well, or badly, then its all part God’s ineffable will and ‘plan’ (for example, the early death of one of Reb’s twin daughters), or maybe its not, because we all have free will (Henry’s criminal past and saint-like present) so we make our own mistakes and carve our own personal path to salvation, or not…! Anyway, there is a spark of honesty, from Reb, who suggests that having a higher power to praise or question/berate is better in the end than not having a belief system, to imagine that the human condition is what it is; random, genetic, temporal, limited, a blood and guts life followed by a dust and decay death. Reb talks about a ‘second death’ when first-hand memories are no more, the unkempt and unremembered gravestone, in which case a ‘holy’ family and a set of shared beliefs and rituals provide the glue from generation to generation. I prefer a more pragmatic view of DNA, and the invisible thread that we leave in our ancestors. My faith is not in a God, but maybe a god in all of us, that makes good people do good things, and weak people succumb to weakness. I am that good and weak person.

Thank you for sharing, now available to pass on.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookAmblerwing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, March 12, 2011
Picked up for Chamonix44, although she's not visiting Essex until June. Might read it in the meantime...

Journal Entry 3 by chamonix44 at Marks Tey, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2011
Thanks BookAmbler for thinking of me! This book was inside my bag full of books which I picked up from Marks Tey. I have read "Tuesdays With Morrie", and "The Five People You Meet In Heaven", by this same author, and I enjoyed them both. I think I just might enjoy this one too! I hope it won't be too long before I get around to reading it.