ladder of years

by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 2/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, February 04, 2011
From Publishers Weekly
At 40, Delia Grinstead seems more likely to have an attack of anxiety, or of whimsy, than to become a runaway wife. Yet, in Tyler's 13th beguiling novel, Delia's impulse to escape her disapproving physician husband and three surly children turns into an adventure that sweeps her from her staid Baltimore orbit into a new existence as Ms. Grinstead, spinster, in the Delaware community of Bay Borough. It's the unexamined life that's Delia's problem, and when she finally strips away layers of hurt, resentment, guilt and anger, she confronts her inner self and begins to deal with the chronic insecurity that has kept her childlike, flighty and dependent. Gradually, she becomes part of her new community, and has the courage to take a job caring for Noah Miller, an appealing 12-year-old whose mother has also run away from home and family. Over the course of a year, Delia discards her timorous personality and gains an understanding of the person she wants to be. One of the satisfactions of this novel is Tyler's evocation of typical family life. While in the past some of her characters have been too eccentric or fey, Delia and her family and friends all have both feet planted in the real world, even if their heads and hearts are sometimes elsewhere. Some readers may have difficulty accepting Delia's ability to absent herself from her children, but Tyler engages our sympathy and growing respect for a character who finally realizes that "the ladder of years" is a time trip to the future

This book is available and will be released soon into the wild

Releasing to the Book Buffet Table at the Bookcrossing Convention in Washington D.C.

Found one of my books?

All the books I release are yours to keep, and do whatever you want with them. All I ask is that you record a journal entry on this website for them, at the very least just to say you found it.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may well be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Check the forum posts on the website at www.bookcrossing.com, and come join us!

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
This came home with me at the end of the 2011 BookCrossing Convention. I don't have a cassette player in my car any more, so I don't get through audio books on tape the way I used to. I'll set this aside for an audio book box ray, probably, or a RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/13/2012 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Sending this out to a fellow BookCrosser. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, March 22, 2012
RABCK - Daisy sm.

Received this the other day as part of a giant RABCK from KateKintail in Virginia. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, January 02, 2015
Setting this aside as my next "read" & reserving it for my Audiobook VBB.

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015
Well, it wasn't chosen, so I'll find another way to help it along...

Journal Entry 8 by wingiwillrejoicewing at a fellow BookMoocher, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 17, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/17/2018 UTC) at a fellow BookMoocher, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Released to a fellow BookMoocher in Spain. Happy travels, little book!