The Little Giant of Aberdeen County

by Tiffany Baker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dabercro of Clinton, Utah USA on 2/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Friday, February 04, 2011
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Baker's bangup debut mixes the exuberant eccentricities of John Irving's Garp, Anne Tyler's relationship savvy and the plangent voice of Margaret Atwood. In an upstate New York backwater, Truly, massive from birth, has a bleak existence with her depressed father and her china-doll–like sister, Serena Jane. Truly grows at an astonishing rate—her girth the result of a pituitary gland problem—and after her father dies when Truly is 12, Truly is sloughed off to the Dyersons, a hapless farming family. Her outsize kindness surfaces as she befriends the Dyersons' outcast daughter, Amelia, and later leaves her beloved Dyerson farm to take care of Serena Jane's husband and son after Serena Jane leaves them. Haunting the margins of Truly's story is that of Tabitha Dyerson, a rumored witch whose secrets afford a breathtaking role reversal for Truly. It's got all the earmarks of a hit—infectious and lovable narrator, a dash of magic, an impressive sweep and a heartrending but not treacly family drama. It'll be a shame if this doesn't race up the bestseller lists. (Jan.)

My thoughts...this was a first good novel. The story is told in three parts. I enjoyed this book.

Released 8 yrs ago (3/30/2011 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Aberpeter in WA.

Journal Entry 3 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 06, 2011
arrived a couple of days ago. thanks dabercro

Journal Entry 4 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, February 19, 2012
Truly is an extraordinary woman, which is quite obvious from her appearance. Being quite different from everyone else came at a cost to Truly. She was picked on as a child and others never really got to know her for who she was deep down, with the exception of Amelia and Marcus. From her meager childhood to her young adulthood, Truly would cling to those who accepted her unconditionally. As she lives with/works for her brother-in-law, Truly discovers secrets from the past and toys with the idea of getting revenge againt a few people who scarred her the most.

Journal Entry 5 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/20/2013 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

adding to the Read and Journaled Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 20, 2013
I am taking this out of Aberpeter's Read and Journaled book box.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, May 22, 2016

This is a family story full of strangeness: a giant (think a female Andre the Giant) with a lithe and pretty sister, generations of male doctors who come from a female healer/witch who married the first of the male doctors who came to town. Nothing is normal in this book, nothing. I found myself becoming disturbed and the author totally lost me at the cat. You won't know what that means unless you read the book. And it all comes down to this quilt that was embroidered by the first woman healer/witch of the book. Got it?
Woman healer
Male doctor
Male babies who become doctors
A quilt
Teacher
Doctor
Silent Girl

Are we clear?

I really expected to like this book but several things spoiled it for me; the very prolonged and nearly unrealized romance, the cat, the lies and cruelty, and death all throughout. Kind of made me sick.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 17, 2016
This book is reserved for bookstogive's Lit/Fic VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 02, 2016
Not selected, will wild release.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, October 07, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (10/6/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA

Little Free Library on 39th Ave NE between 68th and 70th NE