Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams (Canongate Myths)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1841958425 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Simson-Shilitoe of Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on 2/2/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Simson-Shilitoe from Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Editorial Review
From Publishers Weekly

The bestselling author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency novels and the 44 Scotland Street novels has always included one-offs and detours in his oeuvre (including The Criminal Law of Botswana). Here, he turns in an elegant contemporary reworking of the ancient Celtic myth of the dream-giver god, Angus, familiar from Yeats's poetry. Lovely, fair Angus is the son of the terrible club-wielding god, Dagda, who sired the boy by ravishing the lovely water nymph Boann. The young boy who charms birds and inspires marvelous dreams is soon snatched from his mother and raised by Dagda's other son, the grown Midir. After some trials, Angus eventually learns who his true father is and tricks Dagda into relinquishing power. Smith fluidly weaves in contemporary vignettes of the dream god's benevolent influence, touching the lives of honeymooners on a windswept northern island; of a teenage boy sent away to boarding school in Scotland who tricks his mother into revealing who his true father is; and of a Toronto woman bereft at the discovery that her husband is having an affair. Angus, who presides over love and youth is also, it turns out, kindly to pigs. He is nicely reimagined in this spare, polished work.

Journal Entry 2 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/2/2011 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Posting alongside with "The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus" as a little birthday-surprise and wishlist-book to the Philippines and a bc-friend of my friendlist.

I hope that the books will arrive soon and just before 08.03. and will bring some smiles across the miles.

Happy reading "akosikulot"!

Journal Entry 3 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Tuesday, March 08, 2011
Without a doubt the earliest birthday present I ever got - thank you so much, Simson-Shilitoe! I have to confess, though - I opened it before my birthday! *slaps own wrist* When I got the package I was all excited so I decided to hide it in my closet until my birthday, then went to PM you a thank you. But then when I saw the two books on your recently registered shelf, and I flipped with joy (figuratively, of course). Everytime I opened my closet I felt the gravitational pull of the package until I couldn't stand it anymore. I opened it. And read it. Overnight. Please forgive me. :{

But seriously though - thank you so much! I wanna PC these two but decided I will share the Canongate Myths love by starting rings on all the books I get to read. :)

Journal Entry 4 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Tuesday, March 08, 2011
"In my experience, dreams are unreliable, and the lovers whom people see in their dreams, well... Put it this way, I'm not exactly convinced. Far from it." - Thoughts on Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith

Sigh. I hate it when a book disappoints me, especially when I've convinced myself early on that I will love, oh I will love it so, so much. Alexander McCall Smith's Dream Angus is my fourth Canongate Myth, and even before I've started reading the series, just when I was learning about them and reading the synopsis of each title, I was convinced that this one - this book about dreams and love and all its different manifestations - would be the stand-out, that one orange among the series of apples*.

Darn it, Alexander McCall Smith. Darn it.

Something was amiss. No, some things were amiss. I felt it the moment I held the book: it was light, too light, like it was lacking weight and substance and something else that mattered. I told myself, no, it's purposely light, because it's a book about Angus, the Celtic mythology's giver of dreams and a figure of youth and love, and it is only right that this re-telling should seem just as unburdened. And so I read, and I read some more, and no matter how much I tried it didn't feel right at all.

I tried to love you, Dream Angus, and when that didn't work I tried to at least like you. And maybe I did, a little bit, but once disappointed, you can never go back.

You were, for lack of a better term, just meh.

But there were redeeming qualities, the stuff that made me keep on reading. The five different stories (were they related, written without a sense of time?), despite leaving me wanting, were good. Angus was in each one of them, in various forms - an unwelcomed visitor, a shrink, and something else; my favorite was the uncle who threatened his nephew with nightmares (and maybe I liked it because it was different). There were such beautiful phrases and lines: "he drowned in the sky" and "but the gesture never came," "And he wanted to disbelieve what he had just heard because so few words could not end a world." Dream Angus was written - I hope you can forgive me if it sounds too schmaltzy- so dreamily.

And maybe that is why. It felt written in haste, in a haze, at times lucid and at times not. To put simply: "Sometimes the reality is not quite so appealing as the vision, distinctly so, but let's not be pessimistic."

PS. "Love and its disappointments were the bread and butter of people like him." Yes, there was love, plenty of it, and it all ended in disappointment. I'm so sad. So very, very sad. Sigh.

*I like apples, but I love me an orange. My analogy sucks. I'm sorry.

Originally posted here.

Journal Entry 5 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Wednesday, March 09, 2011
Canongate Myths book ring: Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith

The second of a series of Canongate Myths book rings I am hosting. Here's the forum post for this ring.

Paperback, 7.7 x 4.9 x 0.8 inches / 5.6 oz (158.76g)

The Book Ring list:

mafarrimond - UK (EU shipping)
abigailann - UK (UK shipping)
greenbadger - UK (international shipping)
CITIBELLE - UK (UK/EU shipping)
ReetPetite - UK (international shipping)
sintra - Germany (EU shipping)
KiwiinEngland - Ireland (UK/EU/Asia/NZ shipping)
Alannia - Malaysia (Asia/Aus/NZ/international shipping)

... and then back to me! :)

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. Use the cheapest method of shipping available.
5. Enjoy reading the book! :)

Please leave a postcard from your country as a sort of travel journal for the book ring!

Released 10 yrs ago (3/13/2011 UTC) at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This bookring is off to a start: on it's way to mafarrimond in the UK together with another Canongate Myth bookring!