Love As A Foreign Language #1 (v. 1)

by J. Torres, Eric Kim | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1932664068 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 1/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, January 28, 2011
Joel is an English teacher in Seoul who is finding life in the foreign city increasingly boring and unbearable. He decides to head home when Hana, the new secretary at the language school, turns him head over heels.

The drawing style of this graphic novel is an interesting mix of American comic and Asian manga, and the smooth, clean lines are quite pleasing to the eyes. I think there's some influence from City Hunter. The artist tries to portray Joel's isolation through the wordless panels. Little bits of humor sprinkled around keep the story enjoyable.

This book will be placed in the manga bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/9/2011 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

putting into the k00kaburra's manga bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 26, 2011
Taking out of K00kaburra's Manga Bookbox. I just wasn't sure I wanted this, but I read the first book's back cover and then the first few pages and realized I was halfway through the book already and loving it. LOL So I might as well take it and give it a proper read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
I really enjoyed this short little story. Joel is instantly likeable and a sympathetic main character. I really felt for him in a foreign country he just doesn't fit in with. My favorite part was when he was teaching his classes, starting out with so many details "Hello, class. How is everyone doing? Today's topic is favorite animals. Begin by picking a partner and then discuss in pairs with lots of descriptive adjectives. We'll then share your answers as a class." Then, after doing it 10 times, he just points to the blackboard "Favorite animals. Partners. Discuss. Go." LOL I know that feeling :-)

This book will be released at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 21, 2011
Won in the graphic novels raffle at the DC convention.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Didn't really grab me for the first few pages, but once I got used to the mixed Western/Asian style the story started to draw me in. I also didn't notice until the end that there are translations on the last page of all the Korean dialogue - some of it is quite amusing, too, where what Joel assumes they are talking about (usually him) is completely different to their actual conversation.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 8 by alkaline-kiwi at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, May 20, 2011
Sent to me by the wonderful FutureCat after I mentioned I enjoyed graphic novels.

Looking forward to reading it. I flicked through it today when earok brought the mail in and informed me I had been sent a brick in the mail. I automatically went "it is the graphic novels"

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, April 24, 2017
I would have much preferred to get the whole series!