Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips

by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books |
ISBN: 043979661X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingdiscoveryloverwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 1/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, January 28, 2011
Another book by my favourite author, and one of my favourite books by him! Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by PurplyPup at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2011
I got this book from Katekintail. When I read this book I felt so sad for the kittens and happy that Lily got to home in the end. I love the ending, thank you so much for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2011
My daughter tells me that this is a very good book and that I need to read it too. I'll try to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, May 02, 2011
While there is a huge number of books written about World War II, the vast majority of them focus (perhaps understandably) on the soldiers and their stuggles on the battlefields around the world. This book provides a completely unique perspective on the war. Told through the diary entries of a twelve-year-old girl in Devon, we get a glimpse of what wartime England was like. We learn about fathers gone off to fight the war, about rationing and the evacuation of children from London to the countryside. We also learn about the relationships that formed between American soldiers that came to England in preparation for the invasion of Europe and the people who lived in the towns where they lived and worked. It was a world in turmoil, even for people far from the actual fighting.

The focus of this story never strays from the child's point of view and reflects the concerns of a young person who is just awakening to the wide scope of the world around her. As such, this is a story of relationships and avoids most of the larger issues that surrounded the war and its aftermath. The issues that is does raise, including racism, are addressed entirely within the scope of the narrators emerging worldview, and provide a refreshing glimpse into the possibilities for the future.

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (6/29/2013 UTC) at Washington, District of Columbia USA

I brought this to today's meet-up with the visiting Aussies, and it did not come home with me.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand - rings, RABCK, meetings, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, June 29, 2013
The kitty on the front of this book caught my eye at the meet-up. I was lucky enough to snag it before some of the other cat lovers in attendance caught sight of it. I was excited to discover :) that it started with discoverylover. And it is endorsed by PurplyPup, which I find so thrilling, since she is a very intriguing young lady who only occasionally shows up at events and darts around doing teenager-y things instead of hanging with the old fogeys.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 20, 2013
A charming little story, told mostly through diary excerpts, of some of the aspects of World War II and D-Day that we never hear about. Michael (aka Boowie) receives a package from his grandmother not long after his grandfather's death from MS, the contents of which will explain the reason for the scandalous thing she has just done. The contents are her diary excerpts from the lead up to D-Day which involve the cat she loved and their little town in Devon on the coast being co-opted for a training ground for the Normandy landings.

I will likely take this along to the next meet-up. If Melydia comes, she might enjoy reading it, since she was complaining the other day how little she knows about World War II and this story is about something most Americans do not know about.

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Friday, July 26, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (7/27/2013 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

This book will be headed for the next BCinDC meet-up to be shared with others in the group who have not had a chance to read it yet. If it is not selected by anyone, I will likely bring it home with me and select the appropriate next reader personally.

Journal Entry 9 by wingfurballwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 27, 2013
Melydia didn't show up, so a different cat person grabbed it. :-D

Journal Entry 10 by wingfurballwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 13, 2016
Not quite the story that it appears to be, a simple story about a girl and her lost cat, and a very good one. As Grandma says, "The surprise comes at the very end. So don't cheat, Boowie. Don't look at the end. Let it be a surprise for you -- as it was for me." Grandma is wise. :-)

As a side note, I am happy to live in this time with modern medical care. After reading about Tips' many doomed litters, I am also happy to live in a time with modern veterinary care, especially spaying and neutering.

Journal Entry 11 by wingfurballwing at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 13, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/13/2016 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Bringing to the BCinDC meet-up today. It may go home with someone, it may stay on the OBCZ bookcase, or maybe, just maybe, it will go to Athens.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 13, 2016
I selected this book today at a BCinDC meet-up in the Springfield, Virginia, Starbucks that hosts our OBCZ (Official BookCrossing Zone) which is free BookCrossing book exchange shelf located at the front of the cafe.

Thank you for this book!

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 14 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 23, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/31/2016 UTC) at Food court at Tysons Corner Center in Tysons Corner, Virginia USA

This book is being released at a BCinDC meetup at Tyson's Corner food court on the third floor, near the movie theater and Five Guys in Tysons 1.

I am handing off this book to authorauthor to use in her Little Free Library.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing...where we make the whole world our library!

Please make a journal entry so we know this book was found. You may now join BookCrossing (free!) to follow this book's travels. It's so much fun. Your information will not be shared or sold. As you join, consider listing SqueakyChu (or any other journaler) as your referring person.

This book is now yours to keep or share with someone else. Take your time to read this book. Afterward, make a journal entry to record your thoughts about it. If you release it, kindly make a release note to let me know where it is traveling. Thank you so much.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 16 by authorauthor at McLean, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016
This looks like a lovely story about a girl and her lost cat, set on the homefront in England during World War II. And it's by Michael Morpurgo, so it's got to be good!

I picked this up at the Bookcrossing meetup yesterday at Tysons Corner. I plan to add it to the collection in my Little Free Library, but I think I'll have to read it first.

Journal Entry 17 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 07, 2016
I read this today and loved it!

It's a wonderful little book about an episode in World War II England that I knew nothing about. During preparations for the D-Day invasion of Normady, Allied soldiers trained for months in coastal southern England. But first, space had to be cleared for training exercises. Whole villages were ordered shut down and thousands of people were forced to relocate on only a few weeks' notice, with instructions to take with them everything they cared about, because anything left behind would be damaged or destroyed by gunfire or bombs.

The main storyline is about Lily, a 12-year-old girl whose family is ordered to move. When Lily's beloved cat goes missing during the move, she is determined to get him back, even if it means risking her life to slip through the barbed wire fence back into the training zone. There is also a more recent-day frame story, about a boy named Bowie who receives a remarkable letter from his grandmother Lily, including pages from the diary she wrote as a child during the war.

Both storylines include three-dimensional characters and complex relationships. Lily's story, conveyed mostly through her diary entries, is filled with period details that give a sense of what it might have been like to live in wartime rural England -- with rationing, learning of the deaths of neighbors at the front, and taking in children from the city -- and of the difficulties of being relocated on very little notice.

I love the ending, which is one of those satisfying endings which you never guessed at but which somehow seems inevitable.

Highly recommended! Now I'm saving it for my Little Free Library.

Released 4 yrs ago (8/9/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library #9136 - W Alexandria & Hancock in Alexandria, Virginia USA

I'm placing this one in my Little Free Library today. Read about my Little Free Library on its own Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibraryOfAlexandriaAndHancock

For more information about Little Free Libraries, see www.littlefreelibrary.org

Help spread the joy of reading, through Little Free Libraries and Bookcrossing, partners in bringing books to people!
********************************

Welcome to BookCrossing!

If you pass it on to someone or leave it "in the wild" for someone else to find, please make another journal entry or release notes here to explain that it's traveling to find another home.

You can remain anonymous on the website or join BookCrossing. Joining is free, safe, and spam-free and you'll get an e-mail every time a new person finds this book and logs in on the site to say so. You'll be able to watch it move around and find out where it's been and what other readers thought of it.

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 19 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2020
This one was taken from and returned to my Little Free Library long ago, and has been in and out of it ever since. I plan to release it elsewhere sometime soon.