On the Road

by Jack KEROUAC | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingsoffitta1wing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 1/24/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, January 24, 2011
I've had this book on my shelf for a while, bought as part of a Penguin 10 pack from a charity shop.

Who hasn't dreamt of chucking it all in and hitting the road, seeing how far you can get and meeting strange, new people? Sal Paradise is ready for a new experience, recently divorced, he's a writer always on the look out for inspiration. He meets Dean, a man born on the road, and who represents adventure, a life with never a dull moment and living in the present. Life on the road has its own hardships, money is nearly always in short supply, the police harass them and Sal never quite knows what Dean will get up to.

The book has dated, crystallising the slang of a generation, though I was surprised that it was written in the '50s and not the '60s. I imagine this is why it caused such a stir on publication, and also why the main characters often face hostility and a lack of understanding on their travels. The biggest gap of comprehension for me, though, is not between generations, but rather between the travellers and the women they meet. While the women are initially attracted to the unpredictability and modernity of the men, especially Dean's, this turns to frustration as they try to tame them.

I was disappointed with this, I suppose it was because I didn't connect with Sal and I know that if I met Dean in real life, I would want to slap him. I did enjoy Kerouac's style of narrative, fittingly like listening to someone telling you a story over a pint, but found my interest waning as he described the truly egotistical Dean jumping in with both feet yet again, never thinking of others.

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation soffitta1!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, November 25, 2011
Book arrived, thanks soffitta. Will get to it soon xx

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2012
Finally got around to reading this book and have to say I was disappointed with it too. I didn't connect with any of the characters and was a little pleased when I finished the book and could read some thing else. It was very repetitive and although I enjoyed the beginning it soon became a little tedious.

Thanks for sharing soffitta, back to the library xx

Journal Entry 5 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 07, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Danielle23:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 6 by PI-DE at Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Thursday, July 11, 2013
thanks for the book