Rapture

by Liz Jensen | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by dark-draco of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 1/23/2011
Journal Entry 1 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 23, 2011
Bought yesterday at a cheap bookshop - I saw this on the TV Book Club and immediately wanted to read it. Looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 08, 2015
I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic, disaster type, end of the world stories. Whether it's nuclear, environmental, plague or aliens, there's something almost cathartic in reading about it. But while this book started off with them same premise, it had one thing different about it - the story isn't about surviving the end of the world - it's about excepting it's going to happen.

The story focuses on a disabled therapist, who has yet to come to terms with living in a wheelchair, and her disturbed patient, Bethany, who not only killed her mother but seems to be able to predict weather related disasters after having electro-shock treatments. A small group of people come to believe her and, whether she is actually to blame or just knows they're going to happen, they try to warn people when the one huge catastrophe hits - the one that is likely to wipe out the human race.

I liked the characters - none of which are whiter than white. They all have faults and are downright nasty in places. The idea of acceptance, whether of a personal change or in what is happening around you, is not one usually bandied around - we all like to think we have the ability to change our life. Maybe that is what the author is trying to say, in a roundabout way - changes have to be made sooner rather than later, as all we can do at the end is accept.

The religious aspects are interesting, if in some ways just a back drop to the story. I also couldn't help but compare this to 'Portent' by James Herbert, which has a similar slant, although the Earth in that novel is a far more benevolent entity that the one here.

A great read - recommended.

Journal Entry 3 by dark-draco at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, December 11, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (12/11/2015 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent as a surprise wishlist RABCK to a fellow bookcrosser - Merry Christmas - hope you like it!

Journal Entry 4 by chocdrop at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Thank you, dark-draco, for surprising me with two wishlist books and a few little extras.

Have a Merry Christmas and a fabulous 2016!