Neuromancer

by WILLIAM GIBSON | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by vedranaster of Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on 1/20/2011
Journal Entry 1 by vedranaster from Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Neuromancer is a 1984 novel by William Gibson, a seminal work in the cyberpunk genre and winner of the science-fiction "triple crown" — the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award. It was Gibson's first novel and the beginning of the Sprawl trilogy. The novel tells the story of a washed-up computer hacker hired by a mysterious employer to work on the ultimate hack."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer

Looking forward to reading this. I've heard a lot about it,
and it fits nicely into the dystopian reading phase which I'm currently in. :)

After I've read it, it'll definitely go see the world.
If I like it a LOT then as a ring, if I find it just okay it'll become a ray.

Journal Entry 2 by vedranaster at Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia on Sunday, June 19, 2011

Opening an international book ring for this Permanent Collection book so it doesn't just sit on my shelf waiting for me to finally get round to reading it.   :)

Sign up in the forum, PM me if I miss your post:

Approximately 280 pages Mass Market Paperback
Dimensions: 4.20 x 6.90 x 0.8 inches (10.5 x 17.5 x 2 cm)
Shipping Weight: 0.31 lbs (141 g) - without packaging.

Ring rules:
1) Journal the book when you receive it.
2) Place the book at the top of your TBRs
    (under the rings and rays received before this one).
3) While I usually put a time limit of approximately one month on such books,
    the 275 pages of this novel are packed to the brim with quite small, dense print,
    so I'll definitely allow for some leeway as far as reading time goes. :)
4) Still, do let us know if for any reason you get backlogged (work, life, Mt. TBR...)
    PM me or make a new journal entry to let us know of the delay.
    We know life sometimes happens. :)
5) PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive the book
    so you're ready to ship by the time you finish reading.
6) Make a controlled release note when sending the book on, preferably using
    your country and city so that the book can some day maybe be tracked on a map.
7) Feel free to use the cheapest shipping method.
8) Have fun and enjoy the book!

Thanks for participating! :)

Participant order may change as people sign up, depending on shipping preferences, which I will try to accommodate but can't guarantee anything - the ring is international so be prepared to ship international if you sign up.

Participants:
Sfogs (New Zealand/Australia, possibly international)   ... READ
PJLBewdy (Australia/possibly international)   ... READ
madpocky (Philippines/international)   ... SKIPPED, no response to PM
EmgeeNL (Netherlands/Europe)   ... SKIPPED, no response to PM
• Then back to me, vedranaster (Croatia)

The book made 10 stops and travelled roughly 54752 km / 34022 miles.

Journal Entry 3 by vedranaster at Zagreb, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Croatia on Monday, July 04, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/4/2011 UTC) at Zagreb, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Croatia

This permanent collection book is now in the care of the Post Office,
on its way to ozymandias99 in Pakistan, as part of a bookring.

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 4 by ozymandias99 at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Saturday, July 16, 2011
Got the book .. Can't wait to read it .. Thanx vedranster

Journal Entry 5 by ozymandias99 at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan

great book but very cryptic, requires a study guide to completely get what the author is talking about .... off to Danielle23 .... my first international posting .. enjoy !!!

Journal Entry 6 by ozymandias99 at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan

Journal Entry 7 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, September 03, 2011
The book is here safe with me and is my only ray at the moment so goes to the top of my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing xx

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, September 10, 2011
Well this was a very strange book and reminded me a little of the xbox360 game Deus Ex (which my boyfriend is playing at the moment). The whole book was very confusing and I feel that if I hadn't been moving house and only reading in snatches, then I would have understood a little more. I loved the character of Molly though and would have loved to see a visual representation of her eyes as they sounded amazing.

I have PMed Shovelmonkey1 for her address and will get this book off to the next reader as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 9 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, September 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/13/2011 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to shovelmonkey1 in Tuesday's mail. Enjoy Caz xx

Journal Entry 10 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, September 16, 2011
Book has arrived with me so thank you to everyone who kept this book moving in my direction. I've got half of Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake to finish first then I will start reading this, so hopefully it will be travelling again next week.

Journal Entry 11 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, October 10, 2011
Went on holiday then got ill so I've only just started reading this today but it seems to be a fairly quick read so have already pm'd mafarrimond for their address and intend to get it moving by the end of this week. Thanks for your patience.

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, October 23, 2011
I'd be really dubious of anyone who could tell me, with a straight face, that they read this book from cover to cover and understood everything that happened in it. Seriously? Gibson dives straight in and leaves you to make up your own mind about, well most of the plot in some ways. I did enjoy this though and i'm not a massive sci fi fan but I can see what it brought to the genre. Also extra props for coining words like "the matrix", microsofts and cyberspace when Bill Gates and mego corp Microsoft were still in metaphorical short pants.

Journal Entry 13 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/24/2011 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Travelling through actual space rather than cyberspace to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, October 29, 2011
The book has arrived safely. I will get to it shortly.

Journal Entry 15 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 30, 2011
I found the book a little difficult to follow and didn't quite understand some of the concepts behind the science fiction. It took me longer to read than most books but overall I did enjoy it.

Thanks for introducing me to it.

Journal Entry 16 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/1/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Sending on to lemon-crisis. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, December 03, 2011
Arrived today. Thanks to vedranaster for starting this ring, and mafarrimond for passing it on to me along with a cute Christmas card :)

Looking forward to reading this, as it's one of very few sci-fi novels on the 1001 list!

Journal Entry 18 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, January 21, 2012
Phew, almost finished! I didn't get as much reading time as I wanted over Christmas so this was delayed by a couple of weeks while I finished the books in front of it.

I have PMed Nakipa & will get this sent off as soon as I've finished!

EDIT (22nd): Have just finished & Nakipa has PMed me back with her address, so I can get this sent off to Portugal in a couple of days. =]

This was confusing to read, but I understood enough of it that I enjoyed it a lot (I loved Molly & Wintermute). I daresay re-reads of this novel will continue to throw up several 'oh!'s as I see things I didn't quite see the first time!

Journal Entry 19 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/24/2012 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Posted to Nakipa. Hope it has a safe journey! =]

Journal Entry 20 by wingNakipawing at -- Not specified --, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, January 27, 2012
Safely received. Can't wait to start it! :D

Edit: Sorry sorry sorry... forgot about this one. I'll start this tonight, pm the next reader (skip nismo :P) and it'll be on its way monday.

Journal Entry 21 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, March 26, 2012
Well, after stalling the bookring for a while I arrived to the conclusion that sci-fi books are not for me. I tried to start it more than once but I've been finding reasons not to read it and that is never a good sign. I'll just pass it along and will skip nismo who is still overwhelmed with his stupid work schedule.

Journal Entry 22 by wingNakipawing at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, March 26, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/27/2012 UTC) at Fort Collins, Colorado USA

Moving along to the next reader of this bookring. I hope you enjoy.

Journal Entry 23 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, April 30, 2012
I received this book a couple of weeks ago, but I'm in the middle of moving / finals week / packing select clothes because I'm living out of a suitcase until December. I'm sorry it took so long for me to register it, but I'll try to read it soon as pass it on.

Journal Entry 24 by Izzy5000 at Lees Summit, Missouri USA on Monday, August 06, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/6/2012 UTC) at Lees Summit, Missouri USA

I had the pleasure of reading this during my summer trip to Europe! Thanks to vedranaster for letting me have an extended time with the book. I am sending the book to Judyslump612 because ravencat asked to be skipped and oppem is unfortunately no longer with us.

Journal Entry 25 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2012
Arrived safely here today. I've read this before, but I'm happy to have this opportunity to dive back in.

Journal Entry 26 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, August 13, 2012
This is a great example of why I sign up for bookrings, because I LOVE reading how different people's reactions to the same book can be.

First of all, I agree with shovelmonkey1 that nobody could claim to understand everything that's going on. In fact, I think that was Gibson's intention. None of the characters, not even the AI's or the Tessier-Ashpools, and certainly not Case, fully understood what was going on. Even at the end, the augmented Wintermute discovers the possibility of contact with others more advanced in distant star systems.

The other reason is that this is classic futuristic sf. None of us in 2012, let alone in 1984 when the book was written, could possibly have any experience of cyberspace or hacking into ICE. But I truly love the visual descriptions, and sometimes I dare to hope I'll live long enough to see something like this for myself.

I've always loved stories about self-aware programs, and there have been a lot of good ones written, both before and after 'Neuromancer.' But this is the classic and the gold standard, taking a really good look at the motivations and the attitude to humanity that such programs might have.

Journal Entry 27 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/13/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to sfogs - enjoy!

Journal Entry 28 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, August 21, 2012
It's arrived safely with me :-)

Journal Entry 29 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 03, 2014
I liked it, I really did.
But I'm not sure how, half the time I was trying to work out what was going on. :-P

Journal Entry 30 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/3/2014 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Off to Australia!

Sorry for holding onto it for so long, it got lost among my RABCK pile.

Journal Entry 31 by PJLBewdy at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 19, 2014
Received from New Zealand. Thanks for sending it on.

Journal Entry 32 by PJLBewdy at Stockton, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
I found this book hard work in places - there are no heroes to identify with and lots of strange concepts to get across. Not sorry I read it but glad I've finished it. Will move it back to vedranaster soon

Journal Entry 33 by PJLBewdy at Stockton, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/6/2014 UTC) at Stockton, New South Wales Australia

After travelling around the world this book is heading home to Zagreb.

Journal Entry 34 by vedranaster at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Arrived back home today. Thank you, everyone, for participating! :D
The book made 10 stops and travelled roughly 54752 km / 34022 miles.

Journal Entry 35 by vedranaster at KGZ - Knjižnica Medveščak in Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/26/2017 UTC) at KGZ - Knjižnica Medveščak in Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia

Haven't read the book - no time - but I need space on my shelves, so I'm releasing it from my permanent collection.

TO THE FINDER OF THIS BOOK:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world.

If you've found this book, please, take a minute and leave a brief journal entry here to let the owner and other readers know that it's been caught. Thanks! :)
You can do it anonymously, without signing up, but if you sign up before leaving the journal entry, you will be able to see where the book goes after you've released it.

This book is now yours to do with it what you please... Read it, give it to somebody else, release it in the wild again, keep it... Whatever you like! :)

And if you like the idea of setting books free, why not sign up with BookCrossing?
It's free and anonymous - everyone knows you only by your user name, and your email is not shown nor is it shared with anyone.
Join the movement. See where your books go after you release them. :)