Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia

by Chris Stewart | Travel |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 1/16/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 16, 2011
"A funny, generous, wonderfully written account of a family making a life and home in remote but enchanting southern Spain." Picked this one up on my first trip to The Book Thing of Baltimore.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2012
I must say, while I often agree with some of the comments on the book jackets, I don't often consider copying them as my own. In this case though, I would indeed describe this book as a "funny, generous, wonderfully written account of a family making a life and home in remote but enchanting southern Spain." Domingo is an interesting neighbor who seems able to do just about anything; Romero, the former owner, is a rascal that everyone but the author cannot stand; and the challenges of living in hardscrabble Andalucia are intriguing. I do not speak Spanish, have no patience for bugs, dirt, scorpions, rudimentary hygienic arrangements, or cooking over an open fire -- nonetheless, I was tempted to copy these folks and move to this area and adopt their more simple but satisfying way of living.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand - rings, RABCK, meetings, District of Columbia USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand - rings, RABCK, meetings, District of Columbia USA

I saw this book on quietorchid's wishlist, so I figured I would take the time to get it read and put it in the package with the Cake Wrecks book. I really enjoyed this book -- hope you do too!

Journal Entry 4 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2012
This was in the package with Cake Wrecks. Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading it, particuliarly as the days get shorter and gloomier as fall settles in.

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, December 16, 2012
Nice book. Part midlife crisis, part travelogue, and gentle. Ana and Chris chuck everyting and buy a hardcrabble farm in Spain. Roughing it consists of no running water (or too much when it rains), no phone or many of the other amenities we consider necessary.
Best part of the book was they live in the community they moved into; this was not about being an ex-pat and setting yourself apart from your neighbors. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for sending it, I'll bring it to a BS meeting today.

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/16/2012 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Brought to the TC Meet-up.
#32 in D for December 2012 challenge.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 7 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, May 14, 2014
DrSlump took this, then it slipped off his radar. For me, this is Not My Cup Of Tea, a NMCOT, but a lot of people enjoy this genre. I'll be putting it into a bookbox so it can continue its journey in search of appreciative future readers.

I'll just add, that I do think this is better than Peter Mayle's work. Partly it's because there's a good structure: the young couple try to make their venture successful, have a baby, etc. The other reason is, and here I agree with the 'Daily Mail' blurb on the back cover, Stewart really does avoid a patronizing tone. Rather rare, and quite enjoyable.

Journal Entry 8 by wingJudySlump612wing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/14/2014 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Placed in Elizardbreath's Books About People bookbox

Journal Entry 9 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, May 25, 2014
This came home in my Books About People bookbox. Thanks so much for including it---it looks great!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 11 by Georgia-Lily at Griffin, Georgia USA on Monday, April 06, 2015
Good expat book. It reminds me of the writing of James Herriot. Lots of quirky neighbors and a focus on the animals which are necessary for their survival.