The Girl Who Could Fly

by Victoria Forester | Children's Books |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 1/14/2011
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, January 14, 2011
From Back Cover:

SHE CAN FLY!

Piper McCloud lives with her normal ma and pa on a normal farm in normal Lowland County. But Piper isn't your normal girl. Ever since Piper was a baby, she's been able to hover a few feet off the ground, and if the people of Lowland County knew she could fly, they would have something to say about it. So, it only seems best that Piper be sent away to I.N.S.A.N.E., the top secret school for children with extraordinary abilities like hers. Her new friends have powers like telekinesis, X-ray vision, and the ability to create their own weather. Piper likes her new life at school, but soon, she realizes things aren't as they seem. Now, the school she was sent to for her own protection might be the most dangerous place she's ever been.

"It's the oddest/sweetest mix of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men. I was smiling the whole time (except for the part where I cried)...Prepare to have your heart warmed." -- Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight saga

My friend Heather gave this book to Rachel and I to read. Then she said we can register and release through Bookcrossing so it can go on a new adventure.

Journal Entry 2 by RCOUFan at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, August 10, 2013
My mom JennyC1230 gave me this book to read. I finished it and now it's ready to find a new home.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is starting out in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I'm taking this book from the Teens Bookbox. The "Little House meets X-Men" comment sold me {wry grin}.

Later: I really enjoyed this story, which does indeed seem like a spinoff of "X-Men" - there are children with amazing mutant powers, who are considered dangerous by many and are sent to a special school where they can be safe with others of their kind. But then things start to get twisted, as we learn more about the people running the school, and their actual goals. There are some interesting character interactions, too, especially between Piper and Conrad (his mutant ability is super-genius, but he seems to specialize in being a super-jerk most of the time), and the plot has twist upon twist upon twist.

Some of the things that the characters go through are truly horrifying, with extreme mental and emotional torment mixed with actual physical suffering {shudder}. Will the kids manage to triumph over their oppressors - and at what cost?

Luckily, it's not all grim, and I was pleased with the outcome - and intrigued as well, since the mysterious J. is still out there somewhere with a new proposition for our heroine and friends. Whether or not that's a sequel hook, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

[There's a TV Tropes page for the book, but do beware of spoilers.]

Released 5 yrs ago (2/10/2014 UTC) at Bedford Public Library (see notes for details) in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, in a tree outside the library; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 4th Annual Becky's Hugs challenge in memory of Becky. ***

*** Released as part of the 2014 Backyard Bird Count challenge, for the word "fly". ***