Never Let Me Go

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 1/13/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 13, 2011
Unputdownable… it didn’t take me long to read this.
I loved the style of going backwards and forwards, Kathy’s (the protagonist’s) matter-of-fact descriptions and observations where at the same time everything is only implied. There are so many details, but the bigger context isn’t given. Only slowly you grasp what the book is about and the truth creeps up on you…
It made me impatient, this hopeless denial, this lack of real understanding: like I was waiting for something to happen that never happened, some kind of a key moment instead of Kathy’s go-with-the-flow attitude. Maybe that is what the whole book is about: NOT primarily about ethics of science, but maybe it’s about accepting “fate”, about not rebelling or running off, about not doing what you really want to do. (And I suppose that’s why we don’t learn anything about the bigger picture and the society that makes this happen, the background.)
“Never Let Me Go” belongs to the same category of dystopian novels like “Brave New World”, “1984” or “A Handmaid’s Tale”, it also reminded me of the movie “The Island“ and of the Sonmi~451 part of “Cloud Atlas”.
When reading it, sometimes Franz Kafka’s words crossed my mind “I think we ought to read only books that bite and sting us. If the book does not shake us awake like a blow to the skull, why bother reading it in the first place?”
No book I “enjoyed” reading, but definitely one that is worth reading.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at sent to another bookcrosser, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/3/2011 UTC) at sent to another bookcrosser, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Offered at the European Bookrealy and claimed by kalise.
Travelling to Austria now.

Journal Entry 3 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Monday, February 07, 2011
Claimed at the EU Pay it Forward book relay.

Received today! Thank you for sending it so quickly. Can't wait to read it! :-D (I absolutely ADORED Kazuo Ishigiro's The Remains of the Day and been wanting to read more by this writer ever since.)

Journal Entry 4 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, February 09, 2011
An absolute page-turner, I couldn't put it down until I finished it! Definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time. The story elicited a host of contradictory feelings and emotions: it's completely absorbing, fascinating, haunting, heartbreakingly sad, horrifying at the same time. What a writer!

Kath is a wonderful narrator. She completely draws you into her world, which is our familiar world, yet a parallel, alternate and alienated society. I do think it is about the ethics of science, however indirectly, subtly. This is a portrayal of a society that results from an ethics that ISN'T being openly debated, challenged: this is what (can, or will?) happen when you take "it" for granted.... (sorry for being deliberately vague, don't want to give things away).

Ditto therefore on what Apoloniax says: the characters' complete acceptance of their situation, their passivity is terrible and terrifying. On more than one occasion I wanted to shout at them: do something! break out! resist! rebell! What kept them from pretending they were like the "others", from leading a normal life, from blending into the crowd? What would have happened had they resisted? In the end, the "students" were willing participants in the "role" that was "assigned" to them. They were even proud of it. WHY? This is what gives me the goosebumps...We are left with those questions, and more.

All in all, a very memorable, profound, but also disturbing book.

I will definitely pass this on, just need to make up my mind on whether I'll turn this into a bookring .... or make my friend read this?

Hm.

Journal Entry 5 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Sunday, October 09, 2011
... so I finally made my hubby read this and he got obsessed as well! :-) It's really great to have someone to talk to about this story. We eventually rented the movie with Keira Knightley - which actually wasn't bad, but of course the book is always better - but what I found interesting was the extensive interview with the author. He answered some of my most pressing questions.

I am going to send this book to my friend in Slovenia the next few days.

Journal Entry 6 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/19/2011 UTC) at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria

Book is on the way to a good friend of mine in Ljubljana, Slovenia! Hope you enjoy it, my dear!! ;-)