Facing Mount Kenya

by Jomo Kenyatta | History |
Registered by haahaahaa98 of Watertown, Massachusetts USA on 1/12/2011
Journal Entry 1 by haahaahaa98 from Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Looks great! Found at local BC Boston meeting!

Journal Entry 2 by haahaahaa98 at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (12/8/2015 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at local bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, May 12, 2016
PIcked up at May 2016 Boston Bookcrossing Meetup and looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, October 05, 2018
I started it but it was more an anthropology book than I expected and I'm just not in the mood for that right now so it is being released to the workbookshelf.

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, October 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/5/2018 UTC) at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for a brief stay the work book sharing shelf

Journal Entry 6 by amyem at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at March 2019 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019
I claimed this vintage paperback at this afternoon's BookCrossing Meetup at the Porter Square Panera in Cambridge MA.

Later: I was vastly impressed by this book! I'd known of Kenyatta from my school days, when he became the first president of the newly-independent Kenya, but I didn't know he'd written such a comprehensive anthropological work about his own Kikuyu people. I appreciated the detailed picture of village life, and the emphasis on how the entire culture was a cohesive one, every person being bound to the others. There are some pithy comments about the perils of foreign missionaries and colonizers whose attempts to "fix" aspects of the culture would only serve to shatter the entire support structure. Very readable and informative.

[Edited to add a link to Mike Resnick's novel Kirinyaga, about a futuristic attempt to recreate traditional Kikuyu tribal life on a terraformed planetoid; it has references to Kenyatta as a political leader, and it seems likely that Resnick got much of his information about the Kikuyu from Kenyatta's writings. "Kirinyaga" is the Kikuyu name for Mount Kenya.]

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Billerica Town Common in Billerica, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (3/27/2019 UTC) at Billerica Town Common in Billerica, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench on the town common while geocaching in the area. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***