Mysterious Love (Yaoi)

by Taishi Zaou | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/10/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 10, 2011
I'd seen some positive reviews on this yaoi and thought I'd give it a try. [At a glance, it looks like it's a teensy bit more explicit than many such books, which could be a good thing!]

Later: OK, this was an offbeat story. It opens with high school student Masafumi spotting another boy on his first day in class - and promptly fainting. When he comes to at home, he tells his family that it's because he saw the boy from his dreams... Turns out he's had premonitions in dreams for all of his life, premonitions that are always accurate. Usually they were about mundane things, from unexpected guests to weather changes to accidents, but when he reached puberty he began having very explicit premonitions - about having sex with another boy. Oddly enough, his family seems to be fine with all this, but he himself is adamant that he will never "just sit by and turn into a homo". [He never mentions any attraction to girls, although he does try to force it by means of magazines featuring nude women.]

Since this is a romantic-comedy tale instead of a psychological-trauma story, things rapidly progress to the point where Masafumi decides to tell the other boy, Seiwa, why he's been either avoiding him or being horribly rude to him. [Another odd/amusing note: he does this on the advice of his best friends, who also know about his dreams and are OK with it. The only person who seems upset about his dream-attraction to Seiwa is Masafumi himself. Can we guess where this is going? I think we can!]

As he's explaining this to Seiwa, Masafumi goes into considerable detail - and so does the manga artist; there are some pretty explicit images at this point, and I do mean explicit. Given the light-comedy tone of most of the story I was a bit surprised - not to say I minded, you understand! Anyway, Masafumi describes all this in such steamy detail that Seiwa gets... interested: "Oh, I was just sort of wondering how you acted in that dream... Hey, would you mind if I touched you a bit?" Ahem!

"Are you really okay with straing off the path like that? You DO realize you'd be gay," says Masafumi. "And why not?" replies Seiwa. "Why bother living a lie? It's more fun to just be yourself!"

Masafumi eventually admits that in his dreams he felt "completely happy and blessed because I loved you, too", at which point Seiwa pounces. High time, too - and even though Masafumi is still having a hard time accepting all this, he doesn't seem to mind Seiwa's attentions.

The relationship moves on, not always smoothly, but with a certain charm. At one point Masafumi frets to his ever-patient friends that he's afraid to trust himself to the inexperienced Seiwa, but his friends point out that as he's had all those dreams all those years, he should be experienced enough himself to provide any necessary instruction for going all the way. [The friends seem more interested in getting Masafumi past the point of fretting so much, so they can all go back to talking about normal subjects - but the lengths they go to to get the boys together are pretty funny.]

There's an extra story that picks up on our heroes a few years later, and reveals why Seiwa had not wanted his boyfriend to meet his family. [Masafumi's family has, of course, been on board with the relationship from day one, but while Seiwa says his people wouldn't dislike Masafumi he still doesn't want to take him home.] When they do meet - well, it's unexpected and very amusing.

I also enjoyed the "behind the scenes" strip, in which the mangaka is criticized by the characters for skipping over their first all-the-way sex scene. "Due to budgetary and time constraints (by which I mean I'm tired and the deadline is near) it got the chop.... And that's the reason behind the fade-out in part three." I did find it odd that this scene wasn't illustrated, given the two other scenes of up-close-and-personal detail {wry grin}.

All in all a sweet, funny romance.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 21, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (2/21/2011 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

The book's on its way to BCer rebeccaljames in Ohio as a Valentine giveway. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by rebeccaljames at Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, March 10, 2011
I received the book today. I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing.