Vampire Hunter D: Twin-Shadowed Knight (Book 13)

by Hideyuki Kikuchi | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingemmejowing of Cortland, New York USA on 1/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingemmejowing from Cortland, New York USA on Saturday, January 1, 2011
When D finishes off a Noble, the dying man tells him to "Go to Muma." D has no memory of whatever that is, but is surprised to find his heartbeat speeding. Not being one to walk away from the chance to learn more about himself and his creation, D sets out to try and discover who or what Muma is. He meets a young fortuneteller who says she must accompany him and reluctantly allows her to tag along. D's search leads him though a town where the dead walk to a mass grave, along old Noble roads and finally into the research facility where his father spent ages trying to create a perfect being.

D always believed the Sacred Ancestor considered him the only "success" but discovers that he was one of two genetically identical experiments. The other was kept in cryo for a long time but finally awoke. This man has the same skills and looks as D, but living in solitude and convinced that had he been offered all the chances D had he would have been a great Noble leader; his mind and morals are very different.

I almost put this book down. I couldn't tolerate the annoying, swoon-y, superfluous hanger-on character of Mia, the fortuneteller. In addition, I'm assuming as setup for the introduction of D's brother, D became trope-like and frustratingly "good guy"-ish. He didn't return to his normal snarky, cocky, sometimes rude, morally-grey self until well into the book.

I'm glad I hung in though, as the book improves. D starts to go back to being himself, the writing smoothes out a bit, and the dialogue gets witty and fast-paced again. It was really nice to have a book so focused on D's determination to hunt his father down and put a stake in his heart rather than just another bounty hunting job. Not that I don't find the bounty hunting interesting, but the typically scarce hints of info D (and the reader) get about the Sacred Ancestor each book can be frustrating.

Mia doesn't improve through the book; I kept hoping someone would bloody well eat her already! I won't tell you if I got my wish.

The setting is much more sci-fi than most of the books, and I definitely noticed a lack of the Western elements in this one.

NOTE: This book was originally published as two books in Japan, but combined into one volume when translated, hence the "parts 1 & 2" on the cover. It's also worth noting that the cover description was apparently written by someone who never read the book, as nearly everything on it is incorrect. :-(

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Sunday, January 2, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/2/2011 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Added to Flossie771's Paranormal Bookbox

Despite the fact that this is a later book in the series, each book is pretty capable of standing alone.

Journal Entry 3 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Tuesday, January 25, 2011
This book came home in my paranormal bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by Flossie771 at Gas Station in Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, February 3, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (2/2/2011 UTC) at Gas Station in Villa Rica, Georgia USA

left this book on the ice machine