Cool Water

by Diane Warren | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/30/2010
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, December 30, 2010
This is one of 3 books that my brother and sister-in-law gave me for Christmas 2010. Talk about spoiled. This book was the winner of the Governor-General's award for English Literature in 2010 and it is set in Saskatchewan.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, March 10, 2011
It's a hot dry summer in Juliet Saskatchewan, a small town near the TransCanada Highway. And nothing ever happens in Juliet, right? Wrong! Cool Water is about just one day and there is plenty going on. Lee Torgesen looks out his window to find a beautiful Arabian horse in his farmyard. Willard Shoenfeld thinks his brother's widow is getting ready to leave but he couldn't be farther from the truth. Blaine and Vicki Dolson are fighting hard to keep the family farm. Hank Trass lets a note fall out of his pocket with a woman's phone number on it and his wife is sure that he is cheating on her. The town banker, Norval Birch, is worried that his daughter's upcoming marriage is headed for disaster.

I grew up just outside a small town on the prairies and I recognized these people. I also remember those long hot dry summers when time seemed to drag and nothing was happening. Dianne Warren has captured the essence of small towns and rural areas on the prairies. Truly deserving of the GG.

I think I will offer this book to mrsgaskell.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, March 26, 2011
It was great getting together at Crusty Bun this morning for coffee and pastries and chat.
And thanks for the book, gypsysmom! I love the cover illustration - very appealing and makes me want to read this real soon. I always enjoy discovering new-to-me Canadian authors.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 25, 2011
I read this wonderful novel by a new-to-me Canadian author in just two days - unputdownable! It won the 2010 Governor General's award and deservedly so. It's testimony to the quality and authenticity of the writing that I was so quickly and thoroughly drawn into the mundane lives of the residents of the small town of Juliet, Saskatchewan and its vicinity. These characters were completely believable. Although I did not grow up in a small town, I am from the prairies and remember frequent stops in towns like Juliet on the annual family road trips of childhood. The setting of this novel and the isolation of its residents resonated with me as a truly representative slice of Canadiana. And as these lives fleetingly pass the wind and the sand continue...

Thanks gypsysmom for lending me another great read!! I enjoyed getting together again at Crusty Bun this morning!

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, May 26, 2012
mrsgaskell and I belonged to the same book club at the St. Vital Library. Last year when we were deciding on books to read both of us suggested Cool Water. We decided to read it for April 2012 and I loaned this book to several members of the book club. We had our meeting on April 30th and I think everyone had positive things to say about the book. Sadly, mrsgaskell wasn't at the meeting having lost her battle with cancer a few weeks earlier. Now I've decided to send this book to Nu-Knees who was a good friend to mrsgaskell and a lover of Canadian literature. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 08, 2012
Thank you very much, gypsymom, for the totally unexpected package waiting behind the front door when I got back from a trip to the supermarket in the rain this morning - a cheerful welcome home from a boring chore! I really appreciate your kindness in passing on a book that both you and mrsgaskell enjoyed and can recommend. Although we only met in person over one memorable weekend, she was a good friend for several years, I miss her and shall think of her as I'm reading it. As you rightly say, I love Canadian literature, set in Canada, written by Canadians, so thank you again for thinking of me!

Journal Entry 7 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2012
I'm not sure what to write about this novel, except to thank gypsysmom for giving me the opportunity to experience it and to say I hope its next reader is as enthralled by it as I was!
Life for the residents of Juliet, Saskatchewan is rather different from own. While I loved spending time with them, I found I could only stay in their company for fairly short periods. There were so many characters and their stories were told in such detail that I soon felt emotionally and factually overloaded. I enjoyed getting to know them all and wouldn't like to specify one plotline as more interesting than another!
Fascinating :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 16, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (7/16/2012 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

In the post to another international friend of mrsgaskell, bluenoser in France

Journal Entry 9 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Friday, July 20, 2012
I love finding books in my mail box, and especially 'Canadian' ones, they make me feel a little bit homesick, even though Nova scotia is a long way from the prairies I know I shall enjoy this one.

Mrsgaskell was a good Book-Crossing friend. We didn't ever meet in person but we certainly met in love of books, spirit and friendship via Book Crossing.
Many thanks to gypsysmom and to Nu-Knees for passing this along.

Journal Entry 10 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Friday, August 03, 2012
This story is set in a prairie small town but could just have easily been set in small town Nova Scotia, only with a seaside, fishy difference. The people are similar and their lives are probably the same in small towns the world over.

Of course, being a novel the special incidents in their lives are gently pushed into one day. If you sit and think about it, people you know are all evident in these ordinary, everyday, special 'just folks'. I loved it, it's so Canadian. Thank you all for passing it along to me.

Journal Entry 11 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Friday, August 03, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/4/2012 UTC) at Eymet, Aquitaine France

It's heading off to Vancouver in a couple of days, for another Canadian to enjoy.

Journal Entry 12 by cherryj at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, August 17, 2012
Book received! It's delightful to see how far this book has traveled! Thanks so much bluenoser!

Journal Entry 13 by cherryj at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 14, 2013
What an absolutely lovely novel. What an interesting experience, diving into the lives of townspeople for one entire day of their existence. I felt like I'd known the characters for much, much longer than just the one day. The general tone was rather sad an melancholy, which each character trying to figure out where they belong, what purpose their life holds. Not all the stories end well, but there are notes of hope along the way.

Journal Entry 14 by cherryj at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/15/2014 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Gave this one to a co-worker to read. Enjoy!

If you've found this book and are new to Bookcrossing, welcome! If you would be so kind, please leave a journal entry so we can keep track of this little book, and then, read and release it!
Cheers!