corner corner The Last Dragonslayer

The Last Dragonslayer
by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Tamsine of Strasbourg, Alsace France on 12/29/2010

status (set by linguistkris): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Tamsine from Strasbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

a lovely story, written with Fforde's usual wit and vivid imagination.

Journal Entry 2 by Tamsine at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/5/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

mailed to dracessa

Journal Entry 3 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 09, 2012

The book arrived today. Thanks a lot!
It wanted to be read that moment, I opend the evelope. But first it has to wait (a few days) on my shelf. I'm very curious ...

Covertext:
In the good old days, magic was powerful, unregulated by government and even the largest spell could be woven without filling in magic release form B1-7g.
Then the magic started fading away.
Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, an employment agency for soothsayers and sorcerers. But work is drying up. Drain cleaner is cheaper than a spell, and even magic carpets are reduced to pizza delivery.
So it's a suprise when teh visions start. Not only do they predict the death of the Last Dragon at the hands of a Dragonslayer, they also point to Jennifer, and say somthing is coming. Big Magic ...

Journal Entry 4 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 19, 2012

I enjoyed the story verry much. Zambinis Tower is a great place of magic and the last dragon is a phantastic creature. But most of all I'm impressed by the Quarkbeast. (Could be because my son had some toy-froggs called "Quark" and "Yoghurt".)
I'm not sure if I can really imagine a Quarkbeast, but i tried. And most of the time I supposed the beast to meet his Anti-Quarkbeast. I'd liked to find out, what could really happen in this case. Unfortunatly the answer to this question is lost in another book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, January 20, 2012

I'd like to share thist book as a bookray and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Bookray-Members are:

susiuni from Leipzig
erinacea from Berlin
Lilo37fee from Kehlheim

... you?

Journal Entry 6 by wingdracessawing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Auf dem Weg zum ersten Teilnehmer. Gute Reise!

Journal Entry 7 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The book arrived today, and I have an free week-end ahead - wonderful! Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 8 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jasper Ffforde is a wonderful writer - I like this book a lot, especially the Quarkbeast. I will buy this book (and all the rest by Jasper Fforde) - I want to read it again and find new details I overlooked before. How can anyone have such an imagination!!!

The book has stayed quite some time with me - I have been to Australia in the meantime and bought there a travel version of a Fforde book, Shades of Grey. Look out for flipback books - perfect for travel!

Thank you very much for sharing this book - and I have asked already about the next address.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 11, 2012

The next reader erinacea wants to read the book later - now I write to Annieselan.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCaptainCarrotwing at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/6/2012 UTC) at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

At last, at last the book will travel on, starting its journey on Friday to Annieselan (currently on vacation)

Journal Entry 11 by Annieselan at Fulda, Hessen Germany on Saturday, July 14, 2012

The book arrived during our holidays safely home. We spent some more days on holidays, that´s why I´m so late with my JE. I´m looking forward to read it!

Journal Entry 12 by Annieselan at Fulda, Hessen Germany on Thursday, August 02, 2012

I really enjoyed the story, like I did with most books from Jasper Fforde. He created a strange world again, strange but likeable and unique with lively characters and an intriguing plot. My favourite characters were Jennifer (of course) and the Quarkbeast though I must admit I´m not quite sure if I really imagined it right. Zambini Towers with its inhabitants was also great and of course Maltcassion, the last dragon. I always supposed that the Quarkbeast would meet it´s Anti-Quarkbeast like Dracessa said, but this didn´nt happen.

I did some research and I found out that there will be a Vol. 2 called "The Song of the Quarkbeast", so I´m looking forward to read more from Jennifer and friends. :-)

Thank you for letting me join this ring. The book will travel on as soon as I got the adress from "Komma".

Journal Entry 13 by wingKommawing at Würzburg, Bayern Germany on Saturday, August 18, 2012

After the new book von Mr. Fforde (Thursday nummer 6) an other book from Jasper Fforde.

Journal Entry 14 by wingKommawing at Würzburg, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What a pity, Ihave all read , no more of this book. I liked this book very much. It haves parts of big fantasy, philosopy, enchantment and wisdom of life.

Journal Entry 15 by wingKommawing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/30/2012 UTC) at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany

The bookring travels to the next reader realkiku. Enjoy it!

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 16 by wingrealkikuwing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, September 17, 2012

The book arrived two weeks ago, when I returned from my holidays. Unfortunately the book drowned in all the luggage that waited to be unpacked. I'm sorry!!! But it is here with me safe and sound and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 17 by wingrealkikuwing at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ach, was für ein wundervolles Buch, ich habe richtig diesen "Buchkater", dieses Bedauern, dass das Buch nicht länger war. Mal wieder eine neue und wirklich originelle Welt, die aber in nicht wenigen und nicht unwichtigen Details unserer Welt erschreckend ähnlich war. Und diese tolle Heldin *schwärm*! Es war ein uneingeschränktes Lesevergnügen:-))) Vielen Dank dafür!

(Sorry, I'm a little tired so I'm not able to translate my enthusiastic journal in English right now, but I'm very glad that you shared this book with us! It's a wonderful book.)

I'm going to send a PM to theninscha now.

Journal Entry 18 by theninscha at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So, nachdem das arme Buch ein paar Tage in der Postfiliale ausharren musste, weil die Packstation mal wieder voll war, liegt es jetzt ganz oben auf meinem Lesestapel! Vielen Dank fürs Schicken

Journal Entry 19 by theninscha at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Asche über mein Haupt - das Buch ist in Vergessenheit geraten. Dabei ist es wirklich nett zu lesen. Aber jetzt reist es weiter, die nächste Adresse ist schon angefordert.

Journal Entry 20 by theninscha at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/16/2013 UTC) at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany

Und das Buch geht weiter an die nächste Station.

Journal Entry 21 by une-fleurette at Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, July 08, 2013

Ohjeee.... Tut mir völlig leid, erst jetzt, als ich es wieder auf Reisen schicken wollte ist mir aufgefallen, dass ich das Buch gar nicht registriert hatte -.-'
Ich bin hin und wieder einfach zu vergesslich...

Das Buch hat mir ganz gut gefallen, ich habs immer abends im Bett gelesen und auch wenn ich mal 3-4 Tage nicht dazu gekommen bin, konnte ich problemlos daran anknüpfen. Es ist eine nette, kleine Geschichte für Zwischendurch, die viel Freude beim Lesen bringt. Insbesondere das Quarkbeast hatte es mir angetan ^^

Journal Entry 22 by une-fleurette at Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/11/2013 UTC) at Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Macht sich auf den Weg zu tiger-kuh-katze nach Hannover :)
Viel Spaß beim Lesen!

Journal Entry 23 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, July 21, 2013

arrived safely- in spite of open case- looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 24 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, August 25, 2013

most was already said by those who read the book b4....
j fforde will definitely stay on my lookout (and grab them when u can afford) -list..
"lost in a good book" suited me a tiny bit better....
but that maybe is due to not ideal circumstances..

coco7 ist angeschrieben.

insgesamt ein guter und solider Abschluss meiner bookcrossing zeit..
ich steige nämlich demnext aus..
(wird dauern, muss erst noch soweit möglich Bücher gut unterbringen-
u a von whipcord Vogelherz wiederfinden udn weiterreisen lassen...
aber bei interesse könnt ihr gern mailen.)

Journal Entry 25 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, September 13, 2013

The book is here and I'm going to read it next week. Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 26 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

It turned out that I wasn't able to read the book immediately, but when I finally did, I loved it so much. Fforde is a great writer and invented a quirky world with all kinds of impressive characters here.
I'm going to buy a copy for my husband and would love to have a German translation to read to my kids.

Journal Entry 27 by eimer42 at Germering, Bayern Germany on Saturday, November 09, 2013

The book arrived yesterday. Thanks a lot for this ring!

22nd November 2013:
Nice and entertaining read, well constructed story, but, as in other Fforde novels, stays a bit shallow.

Will travel to calisson tomorrow.

Journal Entry 28 by wingcalissonwing at Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, December 05, 2013

angekommen, Überraschung!
Danke.
Nun hoffe ich, dass ich ganz bald zum Lesen komme und den Ray nicht aufhalte.

Großartig, ich hab es geliebt. Und dem Quarkbiest würde ich trotz allem gern mal begegnen.

Die nächste Adresse ist angefragt

Journal Entry 29 by Nachtgeier at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Just arrived. Thank you very much!

25.02.: I really enjoyed it. There could haver been more Tiger and Quarkbeast, but there is always another book in a chronicle, isn't it? ;-) It's already on my shopping list.

Journal Entry 30 by Nachtgeier at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (3/4/2014 UTC) at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On its way to susiuni. Have a good and troll-free trip, little Slayer. :)
(Observation: my spellchecker knows troll-free. Now I'm afraid...)

Journal Entry 31 by susiuni at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, March 06, 2014

This is a beginning of my leisure-time, which I really like: coming home and beeing surprised by a good book in my mailingbox.
Thanks a lot for sending!

Journal Entry 32 by susiuni at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Es ist allein schon ein Vergnügen das Buch in den Händen zu halten. Der Schutzumschlag mit dem Drachenhautmuster ist so toll!

Ein mindestens genauso großer Spaß war das Lesen.Die Geschichte ist einfach, gewohnt verwirrend und sehr unterhaltsam.

Ich habe die Berlinerin erinacea in der vorigen Woche schon merhfach angeschrieben und hoffe ich habe diese Tage Glück. Denn das Buch ist zum Weiterreisen bereits sicher verpackt.

Vielen Dank fürs Teilen!

_______________
edith:
Da erinacea weder per PM, Mail noch Forum auffindbar war, habe ich jetzt die letzte Adresse angefordert.

Journal Entry 33 by wingLilo37feewing at Kelheim, Bayern Germany on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thank you for sending me the book! Happy easter!

Journal Entry 34 by wingLilo37feewing at Kelheim, Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Jennifer Strange lives as a foundling in a magic tower and runs an employment agency for magicians. Then a prophecy about the death of the last dragon appears.
The book is funny and clever, like Ffordes other books. It is a childrens´ book and therefore much simpler. But it has nice characters like the Quarkbeast.

Journal Entry 35 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

A wishlist book for me :-)
Thank you very much for thinking of me!

Journal Entry 36 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Monday, April 18, 2016

Well, yes usually I do read english books. But somehow this doesn't work for me. I tried it twice, but I do have the feeling that I do not really get it and I would enjoy it much better reading it in german. Sorry.

Journal Entry 37 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Friday, February 17, 2017

This book is continuing its journey as a wishlistbook :-)

Journal Entry 38 by winglinguistkriswing at Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 27, 2017

Thank you, rochester74, for this brilliant double feature of a RABCK!
I've been wanting to get my hands on this ever since I happened upon the Quarkbeast, and I am sure it will not disappoint!