Against Medical Advice - One Family's Struggle With An Agonizing Medical Mystery - Book Club Edition

Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 12/28/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2010
5 CDs; Unabridged; Read by Kevin T. Collins. Featuring a Prologue and Epilogue read by Hal Friedman

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, March 05, 2011
This is an interesting and ultimately hopeful story of one child's struggle with Tourette's Syndrome, obsessive compulsive disorder, alcoholism and misunderstanding. Although Corey, the one afflicted, did not write the book, the authors present it in the first person with Corey's permission. This givs the story a personal feeling. Corey develops a severe form of Tourette's at age five. He is given a variety of medicines over the years, and he suffers from bewildering symptoms. Not surprisingly, he struggles at home and at school. Some of his teachers are understanding, and some not so, as he often disrupts the classroom with his behaviors.

The book details Corey's treatment and the support of his parents. Some of his doctors suffer from the messiah complex: the inability to admit that they might have prescribed the wrong medicine. He has a very hard time making friends.

I didn't always feel complete sympathy for Corey. At times, especially toward the end of the book, his complaining and apparent feeling he is never at fault got on my nerves. Corey maintains that his school aid entrapped him, reporting him for smoking on campus, an activity which was previously tolerated. He does admit that they "can't officially allow me to have a cigarette on the property." and he was supposed to walk far away from the school, but he was "a little lazy." He feels persecuted by the school board that recommends he repeat his junior year. After reading about the events of that year, It seemed that it was a reasonable decision, but the authors describe it unfavorable terms. The school relents when his mother makes a impassioned case for allowing him to continue.

The story is a valuable history of a child and a condition that is still a medical mystery. The writing is personal and direct. If you have an interest in Tourette's you should read this book, because it gives valuable insight into a personal experience. What we learn is that modern medicine can not always make things easier for everyone. The education system helped him in some ways, but failed him in others. As an educator I have had students with Toureete's and OCD in my classroom, but not were as serve as Corey. The book can be useful book for physicians and educators alike.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, October 27, 2011
Received back from my two friends. The book is now ready to continue its journey.

Enjoy! Putting in BigJohnLefty's CD only book box. Trust it finds a new home.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMoody-Bluewing at McDonald, Tennessee USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012
We seem to enjoy the same type of books... ALL KINDS!! :) Thanks for sending such a great selection my way!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, August 26, 2015
A true story, told from the perspective of a boy living with a triple-whammy of anxiety, OCD and Tourette syndrome. I can't believe how much I learned about these unfortunate conditions in such a short amount of time. I think anyone who knows someone who suffers from a neurological impairment would benefit from seeing the world from this angle.

Journal Entry 7 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, January 14, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2016 UTC) at Meers, Oklahoma USA

One of my contributions to Big John Lefty's Other AudioBookBox, round 1

Journal Entry 8 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016
taking out of BigJohnLefty's Other Audio Bookbox