The Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, No 12)

by Robert Scheckley | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by TomHl of Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on 12/25/2010
Journal Entry 1 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, December 25, 2010
This used paperback was an xmas gift from dw.

Journal Entry 2 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, January 25, 2011
My expectations of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine books are not so high to begin with, and I have read most of them. I just want a little light entertainment, maybe on a par with one of the episodes. But this one hits a new low. It features one of my least favorite characters, Dr. Bashir, and portrays him as a dolt, tricked into gambling with Quark until Quark loses his club, the station itself, and possibly settled planets, by an alluring alien woman named... Allura. It is a stupid plot involving stupid characters, driven by a stupid concept known as "Complexity Theory". Maybe this would be a comedy, if it were funny, but no it's just dumb.

Journal Entry 3 by TomHl2 at Beaufort, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 14, 2021

Released 6 days ago (10/11/2021 UTC) at Beaufort, South Carolina USA

My son from Chicago is a big fan of DS9. He was visiting us in Beaufort SC, was intrigued by my description of this as "the worst book ever written," and took it to read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Beaufort, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 14, 2021
My Dad is crazy. I read this and it is a good book, like an episode of the show that was never broadcast. There was also a character on the show named Aluura - one of the Dabo Girls at Quark's. Giving the book back to my Dad.

Journal Entry 5 by TomHl2 at Beaufort, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 14, 2021
The book is back on my shelf. My son finished it before he returned to Chicago.