Eating Animals

by Jonathan Safran Foer | Other | This book has not been rated.
Registered by seeingthings of Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 12/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by seeingthings from Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, December 19, 2010
Jonathan Safran Foer spent much of his teenage and college years oscillating between omnivore and vegetarian. But on the brink of fatherhood-facing the prospect of having to make dietary choices on a child's behalf-his casual questioning took on an urgency His quest for answers ultimately required him to visit factory farms in the middle of the night, dissect the emotional ingredients of meals from his childhood, and probe some of his most primal instincts about right and wrong. Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy, literature, science, memoir and his own detective work, Eating Animals explores the many fictions we use to justify our eating habits-from folklore to pop culture to family traditions and national myth-and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting. Marked by Foer's profound moral ferocity and unvarying generosity, as well as the vibrant style and creativity that made his previous books, Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, widely loved, Eating Animals is a celebration and a reckoning, a story about the stories we've told-and the stories we now need to tell. (amazon.de)

Gutes Buch mit wichtigem Inhalt. Obwohl die Kombination verschiedener Erzählweisen manchmal eine etwas polemische Wirkung hat, finde ich das segr reitzvoll an dem Buch. Ich muss zwar nicht mehr überzeugt werden, kein Fleisch zu essen, es hat mich aber doch nochmal sehr erschreckt, was Foer über die Tierhaltung in den USA und den Fischfang schreibt. Das Buch lässt die ethischen Probleme des Tötens von Tieren leider weitestgehend außen vor. Es liest sich eher wie ein Aufruf zum Fleischkauf im Biosupermarkt aber immerhin...

Journal Entry 2 by seeingthings at Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (12/22/2010 UTC) at Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Buch reist weiter. Ich bin gespannt, ob es jemandem den Appetit verdirbt ;-).