Thwonk

by Joan Bauer | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0698119142 Global Overview for this book
Registered by EllyMae58 of San Diego, California USA on 7/28/2003
Journal Entry 1 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Monday, July 28, 2003
Seventeen-year-old Allison Jean (A.J.) McCreary has two immense passions in her life: her photography, in which she displays great promise, and handsome hunk Peter Terris, who barely knows that she exists. But life changes for A.J. when she discovers Jonathan, her personal cupid, late one night about a week before Valentine's Day. A.J. is allowed only one wish, and Jonathan can help her either artistically, academically, or romantically. Against Jonathan's advice and her own better judgment, A.J. asks Jonathan to help her with Peter to have a date for the King of Hearts Dance just six days away. One shot with cupid's arrow and thwonk, A.J. has the loving devotion of handsome Peter forever. She soon realizes that what she has wished for isn't what she truly wants.

Journal Entry 2 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, November 19, 2003
Since I didn't know what kind of dog a keeshond was, I looked it up. Here's a pic.

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, November 20, 2003
Nice story, although it got a bit irritating at times. Not as good as her others.

Mailed to casseytara on 11/29! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, December 04, 2003
Received yesterday - thanks Ellymae58! After Cassey reads it (and she started it last night) it will go in my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 5 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, October 27, 2012
This was a cute story. A.J. is a funny, self-deprecating narrator, who matures by the end of the story. The characters were often a little frantic, always shouting or screeching. So glad my kids were never like that!

My full review is on my blog.

I'm going to search wish lists, and if nobody is wishing for it then I'll offer it in the forums.

Journal Entry 6 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/27/2012 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

Checked wish lists, and only one wisher, JennyC1230, who's address I just happen to already have, so off it goes!!

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, December 05, 2012
Thanks for the RABCK! I really enjoy this author. I've read a couple of this author's books, so I'm looking forward to reading this. Thank you so much!

Here are the books I've read by Joan Bauer: Squashed and Hope Was Here

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, January 07, 2013
My Review: I enjoyed this book! AJ (Allison Jean) is 17 and in love with a guy who doesn't know she exists. Thanks to a Cupid, she has the chance to see what it would be like to be Peter Terris' girlfriend. Things don't work out exactly the way she wants.

Reserved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is starting out in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I'm taking this from the Teens Bookbox. Once I noticed the tiny Cupid on the cover and realized that the title refers to the sound of an arrow hitting its mark, I had to give it a try - and I was pleased to see that it's a "senior" BookCrossing book, registered in 2003, so it's only a couple of years away from being a teenager itself!

Later: I enjoyed this book a lot - much more than I expected to when it started with a teenaged girl angsting over the guy she has a crush on {wry grin}. But while the story does indeed deal with "gotta-get-a-guy" urges, it makes some really fun side trips into "why do you always choose to fall for people for the wrong reasons?" and "what do you REALLY want to do with your life?". And the snarky little tough-guy cupid is a lot of fun too, though he's apparently bound by contract not to be as explicit with his advice as he could have been. [He does go pretty far with his warnings, but our young lovelorn photographer blithely ignores that.]

The quips, the characters, the be-careful-what-you-wish-fors - lots to enjoy in this one! And I can't help thinking it'd make a really charming film in the right hands...

Released 5 yrs ago (2/1/2014 UTC) at Nottingham Square Plaza (see notes for details) in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book propped up in front of the Sweet Kiwi frozen yogurt shop in the plaza (which is at 142 Lowell Rd.), at around 3; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 4th Annual Becky's Hugs challenge in memory of Becky. ***

*** Released as part of the 2014 Valentine challenge. ***

*** Released as part of the 2014 Backyard Bird Count challenge, since the cupid on the cover has wings. ***

Journal Entry 12 by starryeyednhgal at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 01, 2014
I stopped in to get some frozen yogurt with my boyfriend and I found this book propped up in front of the store. It was dark outside, so when I went in to the store initially I didn't notice the book.(perhaps my need for yogurt overcame me lol ) as I left thought I saw it out of the corner of my eye and picked it up. I'm really excited to be apart of this books journey and will read it and release it back into the wild as soon as I'm done :)