Flight of Aquavit (Russell Quant Mysteries)

by Anthony Bidulka | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/10/2010
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, December 10, 2010
I purchased this book at a library book sale because I have been wanting to read a book by Anthony Bidulka.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, March 02, 2013
This was a really good read. Anthony Bidulka has created a great detective in Russell Quant, a gay P.I. living in Saskatoon. I also really liked his friends and I loved his mother who is staying with Russell over the Christmas season when the action in this book takes place. This is the second Russell Quant mystery but the first one I've read. I also have the first one on my TBR pile and I plan to pick it up soon. I am delighted to find out from Bidulka's website that there are 6 more books in this series.

In this book (set as I said just before Christmas) Russell takes on a new case involving blackmail of an accountant, Daniel. The accountant is married but has been having sex with men on the side. One of these episodes has come back to haunt him. Daniel got a note asking for $50,000 which was slipped inside an envelope when he was receiving an award for Business Person of the Year. Daniel has decided not to pay the money and he has hired Russell to find out who the blackmailer is. There are only several men that Daniel has had sex with but given the nature of gay hook-ups Daniel doesn't even know their real names. Russell tracks them down but in the process is followed himself. He even has to take a trip to New York City which gives him a chance to do some shopping, eating and seeing some plays. The things a PI has to do for work!

Bidulka did a really good job of the setting. Anyone familiar with the prairies in the grips of winter will recognize it and anyone who isn't will wonder why we prairie people put up with winter. I also thought his handling of the gay scene was well done.

This is my Saskatchewan read for the 2013 Canadian Reading Challenge. I'm going to keep this book for the 2013 Canada Days release challenge but first I'm going to lend it to my librarian friend who was intrigued by my description of the series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Grabbed from the stack in front of gypsysmom when Twin Cities BX'ers met her for dinner. I promise to share this with the rest of the group as soon as I finish it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, August 01, 2013
This is only the second author I've read in the small but growing genre of GLBT fiction (the first was Ellen Hart, a local Minneapolis writer). It made me think about why we should know or care about a detective's private life, especially in a series. The two reasons I've come up with so far are (a) the private life gives the detective special expertise, as in Dick Francis' books; or (b) we grow to like the detective, which adds to the suspense when s/he is in danger. Both are true in this case.

This book particularly involves the GLBT world since it involves blackmail of a still-closeted gay man, not only married but in a conservative profession - a perfect match for Quant. Gypsysmom has already done a beautiful plot summary, so I'll just add that the mystery is very well constructed, with plenty of red herrings and surprising revelations.

I also agreed with gypsysmom's comments about winter on the prairies. Minneapolis isn't as far north as Winnipeg, but we're in the ballpark. I'm glad I read this during July!

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/3/2013 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Shared with quietorchid, as promised

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, September 07, 2013
I had this in a pile of books for a month after JudySlump612 gave this to me. Arrgghh. (bad quietorchid, bad quietorchid!) I'm delighted to put this on top of my TBR pile, and am looking forward to reading it. Maybe cool Canadian breezes will follow....

Journal Entry 7 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 08, 2015
Pretty good. Russell is an engaging character, and the mystery is well constructed. I agree with the above readers about his descriptions of the prairie winters; particularly the awareness of what clothes you are wearing when you go outside. Layers matter, as does the type of outerwear. I found Russell's refusal to wear hats because of the cost to his artfully mussed hair amusing.

And that is my quibble with the book. Russell almost seems a parody of a Gay Detective with his 'wonderpants' and his hair, his squeals and his 'having a little cry' every so often. Having said that, it's still a good mystery, a good read, and a nice slice of Saskatoon.