Odd Thomas

by Dean Koontz | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 000779648X Global Overview for this book
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 12/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, December 08, 2010
From the blurb:
He's Odd. Odd Thomas, to be precise. Genius fry-cook at the Pico Mundo Grill; boyfriend to the gorgeous Stormy Llewellyn - and possibly the only person with a chance of stopping one of the worst crimes in the bloody history of murder ...

Odd is worried. He knows things, sees things - about the living, the dead and the soon to be dead. Things that he has to act on. Now he's terrified for Stormy, himself and Pico Mundo. Because he knows that on Wednesday August 15, a savage blood-soaked whirlwind of violence and murder will devastate the town.

The first time I heard of Odd, back in early 2007, it was here on Bookcrossing. (Except I'm not sure that's the right link, as according to my notes I made a note of it earlier, so maybe this was simply a convenient review to remind me why I wanted the book.)

In departure from my usual customs, I got even more excited when I realized the book was only part of series. Anyway, I figured it sounded intriguing and I was already a fan of Koontz', so I jotted it down in my list of books to "check out some time".

Then, in November of that year, one of those Jokers catalogues found its way into my mailbox, and flipping through, there was no way I could have ignored the big "Odd Thomas on sale" sign. So I bought it and eventually read it sometime between February and July of 2008.

With so much anticipation, I guess it couldn't be helped that I ended up being disappointed. To my own astonishment, I found the whole "seeing dead people" thing not quite as riveting as I felt I had any right to expect, and I also did not feel as connected to Odd as I'd become accustomed to be in relation to Koontz' characters. What was more problematic was that I never managed to understand just what was so great about the main character's girlfriend, Stormy, so with him gushing about her all the time, that got rather tiresome.

The showdown was fully worth the read, though: grueling, exciting and utterly awesome, as always. I rather liked the ending, mostly because it was unusual and threw me for a loop when I was no longer on the look-out for any twists.

All in all, I did enjoy the story, but upon finishing the book I instantly lost all interest whatsoever in reading the sequels. Also, while I originally kept the book with the intention to reread it some time, looking back, I never actually felt any desire to do so.

Incidentally, last year I came across another book of Koontz' that finally fulfilled all expectations Odd Thomas had raised.

Taken along to December's meet-up.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjuli312wing at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Friday, December 10, 2010
From the X-mas Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by Llyren at on Sunday, September 11, 2011
Beim Besuch der Leipziger Leseratten beim Berliner Meetup mitgenommen.

Journal Entry 4 by Llyren at A & O Hostel LeiBCig 03.-05.05 in Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (5/3/2013 UTC) at A & O Hostel LeiBCig 03.-05.05 in Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Nachdem ich das Buch mittlerweile doppelt habe, darf dieses hier weiter reisen.

Das Buch kommt bei der Uncon LeiBCig auf die Büchertische und wartet dort auf neue Leser.

Journal Entry 5 by Elvira-Clavitta at Kandel, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, May 06, 2013
Das Buch hat von dem Büchertisch seinen Weg zu mir gefunden.
Vielen Dank für die schönen Tage in Leipzig

Journal Entry 6 by Elvira-Clavitta at Kandel, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, September 14, 2013
Das Buch kommt morgen in meinen Koffer und darf mit in den Urlaub. Wenn ich es gelesen habe, darf es seine Reise alleine fortsetzen...

Released 7 yrs ago (9/25/2013 UTC) at Augen auf überall in -- Irgendwo / Somewhere, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Das Buch wurde in einem Bus freigelassen. Gute Reise