The Beaufort Diaries

by T Cooper | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1935554077 Global Overview for this book
Registered by akosikulot of Angono, Rizal Philippines on 12/2/2010
Journal Entry 1 by akosikulot from Angono, Rizal Philippines on Thursday, December 02, 2010
My review on The Wannabe Literati:

What do you get when a lone polar bear hitchhikes his way to LA, stars in a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio, becomes famous, dates a model, decides to write a script and direct his own movie, dabbles in Kabbalah and Scientology, moves to New York, becomes an alcoholic and a drug addict, and finally redeems himself on an off-broadway one-man show? You get T Cooper's The Beaufort Diaries, a hilarious inside look at being a celebrity from the point of view of someone who just doesn't belong.

When arctic polar bear Beaufort accidentally floats astray from his mother during a hunting trip and finds himself drifting towards America, he decides to make his way to Hollywood, where he bumps into Leo DiCaprio and subsequently lands the star role in an upcoming psychological thriller-slash-legal drama-slash-buddy flick about global warming. The movie's a hit, Beaufort becomes rich and famous - and everything pretty much goes downhill from there. He lives in a mansion on Hollywood Hills, dates the model Svava, has Ashton and Demi as Kabbalah mentors, and tries his hand at writing and directing his own film, so aptly titled Bear, which subsequently tanks, leaving Beaufort jobless, penniless, and without real friends (except for good old buddy Leo).

The Beaufort Diaries is an easy read with less than a hundred pages. And while some people say they would have wanted the story to have gone further, longer, probably developed into a novel, I have better appreciation for Beaufort's story as a short one, as fleeting as his career. That, and the fact that Alex Petrowsky's mixed media illustrations are more than enough to make up for the briefness of the story. His drawings have minimal colors yet are quite vivid. Petrowsky did a really good sketch of Leo's face, too.

Short, concise, and charming, The Beaufort Diaries portrays the difficulties of being a one-hit wonder, of fame, and of the superficial things that make up a celebrity.

Journal Entry 2 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Thursday, December 16, 2010
This book has company: The Beaufort Diaries book ring (with a twist!)

Basically, this book will be released as a book ring, but it won't be travelling alone - for every stop it makes, included is a surprise book from the previous reader, that the recipient can either read and pass on again, or keep and replace with a new surprise book. Here's the forum post for this ring.

Hardbound, 8.4 x 5.9 x 0.5 inches / 9.9 oz (280.66g)

The Book Ring list:

madpocky - Philippines (international shipping)
Simson-Shilitoe - France (international shipping)
souram - Switzerland (international shipping)
Bloedengel - Belgium (Europe/UK/international shipping) <-- it's here!
JemmaJ - UK (international shipping)
disneyfreaksam - UK (international shipping)
marijketje - Netherlands (EU shipping)
VictoriaWagtail - Sweden (international shipping)
Nakipa - Portugal (international shipping)
minesayn - USA (US/Canada/international shipping)
mssaver - USA (US/Canada/international shipping)
izzy5000 - USA (US/Canada shipping)
kally93 - Canada (Canada/US shipping)

... and then back to me! :)

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. Use the cheapest method of shipping available.
5. Enjoy reading the book! :)

Please leave a postcard from your country as a sort of travel journal for the book ring!

Released 10 yrs ago (2/2/2011 UTC) at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This bookring is off to a start: on it's way to madpocky in the Philippines together with a surprise RABCK!

Journal Entry 4 by madpocky at Manila, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Philippines on Sunday, February 13, 2011
I caught this book last week. Yay! I haven't read it yet, though. I will have to come back with my review later. Thanks, akosikulot! ^-^

Journal Entry 5 by madpocky at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/4/2011 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This book is on its way to Simson-shilitoe, finally! I'm really sorry for the delay. I have included with it a companion book and a postcard as a memento of its travel.

I attempted to review this book and came up with this: http://bookwormkitty.blogspot.com/2011/02/beaufort-diaries-by-t-cooper.html. I'm not much of a book-reviewer, but I really did enjoy this book! Thanks for sharing, akosikulot! ♥

Journal Entry 6 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, May 11, 2011
I found this unexpected package from the Philippines in today`s mail.

First I was a little bit unsure before opening the package. But when I checked up all presumptions it remind me of this special bookring.

A BIG THANK YOU, madpocky, for posting, the surprise book and the picture-postcard showing this special and colourful Jeepney which sweeten my day!

And A BIG THANK YOU, akosikulot, for organizing this bookring.

Oh, and the delay doesn`t matter. I had to read 7 other bookrings over the last 4 weeks. So it was a welcome delay.

Journal Entry 7 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Sunday, May 29, 2011
Book Review by Cindy Widner, Fri., July 2, 2010:

An original, humane, and deeply funny novella about a polar bear making it big in L.A.

T Cooper does the kind of thing that drives other writers mad: He takes the bones of stories told many times, in many ways, and shapes them into something singular and breathtaking. The Beaufort Diaries, his latest, might stake out new territory in some superficial way, but Cooper is still taking inspiration from some awfully common sources – climate change, Hollywood clichés, and the combination of the two – and shaping it into something few writers, or imaginations, could deliver.

Like his breakthrough novel, Lipshitz Six, or Two Angry Blondes, this slimmer, more whimsical volume is at heart an immigration story, one in which the dislocation is as much psychic as it is geographic. Named after the sea from which his mother launches him southward, Beaufort is a polar bear who makes his way to L.A., hustles as a busboy until Leonardo DiCaprio plucks him to co-star in eco-buddy pic Separation of Oil and State, and tumbles onward through the typical backwash of sudden public success. The work here is subtler than it sounds: In Beaufort, Cooper inhabits entirely the voice of an outsider who is both shrewd and sensitive. He can have his heart broken by the shallowest of supermodels or naively take a dip at a Hollywood pool party before being told no one actually swims at those; he can also relate deceptively sublime details that read as innocent discoveries and cut to the bone.

The Beaufort Diaries is being characterized as a "graphic novel," though in truth it's a novella with integral accompanying artwork that enhances its gentle absurdism. Alex Petroswky's drawings take advantage of a polar bear's natural look of befuddlement, which is easy to mistake for gentleness; in this case, Beaufort's deadpan observations manifest the ursine killer instincts underlying a hapless demeanor. At the same time, Petrowsky's use of the drawings in photo collages underlines the constancy of Beaufort's displacement and differentness. There also exists an animated short directed by Petrowsky and voiced by David Duchovny (www.t-cooper.com), but Cooper's nearly flawless prose is the meat of this work: It's as if the author challenged himself to test his talents with a scenario that in less able hands would almost necessarily lapse into cliché and cheap satire. Instead, Cooper makes it original, humane, and deeply funny.

Posting to "souram" in Switzerland as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 8 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (5/31/2011 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Now on its way to "souram" in Switzerland alongside with "Forbidden Territory and Realms of Strife: The Memoirs of Juan Goytisolo".

Journal Entry 9 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Monday, June 06, 2011
I found this bookring book in my mail box today, thanks akosikulot to have launched this ring.

Journal Entry 10 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, June 09, 2011
I've just finished reading it. Funny book! What happens to a polar bear in Hollywood (and in NY) ? I liked it. Some satirical aspects turn this bear into a Montesquieu's "Persian" travelling in Paris in the "Persian Letters"...
I will send it further to the next person on the bookring list.

Journal Entry 11 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Saturday, June 11, 2011
I'll mail it on Tuesday, as Monday isn't a workday.

Journal Entry 12 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (6/14/2011 UTC) at Genève, Genève Switzerland

Will be sent to Bloedengel on June, 14, 2011.

Journal Entry 13 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, June 17, 2011
It is with me !
And I got 'between sisters' by ' Kristin Hannah along with it !
It will continue its travel shortly.

Journal Entry 14 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, June 24, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (6/24/2011 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Don't know what other readers thought of it but this is way too arty-farty for me.
Don't see the wit in the jokes, the blasé tone, the Hollywoodian ...
Nah, didn't like it one little bit. Did like the pictures, so maybe I should have watched them instead of reading this.
Well, you win some, you loose some, right. And the twist to this bookring, the book received with it, is a great one. Hope I can make that happen for the next reader too. And hope they like this one better than I did.

Oh, and I added Bridget Jones's diary , because that is on the next readers wishlist. Aim to please, right ;)

Journal Entry 15 by JemmaJ at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Monday, July 04, 2011
Arrived today along with "Bridget Jones' Diary"...many many thanks! I can't wait to get started on this book...it looks funny!

Journal Entry 16 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2011
All finished! Contacted Sam for her address again - me did not save it! Found the perfect book to send with it!

Journal Entry 17 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 25, 2011
Excellent. Received today. Thank you very much

Journal Entry 18 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2011
Totally off the wall. Good fun. Will get it moving again very shortly.

Journal Entry 19 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (9/9/2011 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Enjoy x

Journal Entry 20 by marijketje at Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, September 16, 2011
the book arrived today

Journal Entry 21 by marijketje at Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, October 24, 2011
I found it a funny book and enjoyed reading it. I will send it on to VictoriaWagtail.

Journal Entry 22 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, October 28, 2011
Thank you Marijketje for sendin me this book together with a surprise, I'm really looking forward to read both of them. This book seems so cute :)

Journal Entry 23 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, October 31, 2011
Hmmmm, I'm not really sure what to think of this book... The story in it self isn't very unique, it's been told so many times it's actually quite boring. The only "new" thing about it is the main carachter being a polar bear, and to be honest I don't see why. Is it because an animal is supposed to be in touch with nature but now when he is forced to live in the city he becomes more like a human, he becomes lost? Is it supposed to be a metaphore of us humans and how we've lost tuch with our selves? Of how we live in shallow relationships and surroundings, not contributing? I Don't now, the story never offered an explanation.

Journal Entry 24 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (11/8/2011 UTC) at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden

The book continiues its journey, now across the Atlantic and to The US. It travels with a TWIST. Enjoy! :)

I support The Swedish Cancer Society with a Pink Ribbon
Photobucket

Journal Entry 25 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Received today in the mail from VictoriaWagtail along with a TWIST book, a pink ribbon supporting her charity, and a postcard from Stockholm. Many thanks for the little gifties as well as allowing me to be part of this ring, too. Considering the fact that I am a polar bear (the team mascot from my university, Ohio Northern University), I think it is rather appropriate. Will read and send off to the next person with a TWIST book, also.

Journal Entry 26 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 26, 2011
A true send-up of what so many people go through once fame hits...they melt down, do drugs and alcohol, and maybe, just maybe, figure it out. Okay, Beaufort figured it out...many of the famous don't! Lots of humor...could picture certain celebrities as Beaufort, but at least the bear does a better job of living his life than so many of them. It was okay...not great!

Now off to the next reader with a TWIST!

Journal Entry 27 by wingminesaynwing at Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, November 28, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (11/28/2011 UTC) at Chicago, Illinois USA

Being sent via media mail for The Book Ring with a TWIST...this is the ring book which was started by akosikulot and has made its way from the Philippines! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 28 by mssaver at Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, December 03, 2011
It's here! Thanks for sending Anita Shreve's "Testimony," too, minesayn.

Journal Entry 29 by mssaver at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (12/10/2011 UTC) at Evanston, Illinois USA

Sorry to be so late! I sent the book to izzy5000 on December 10, but my computer was not working. I thought I had entered it when I used a library computer, but today I noticed that it was not mentioned.

Journal Entry 30 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Thursday, January 12, 2012
Got back into town today to see a HUGE pile of mail waiting. I'll read this and pass along!

Journal Entry 31 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Friday, January 13, 2012
This book was a little too liberal for me, I'm really just not into politics.

Journal Entry 32 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (1/21/2012 UTC) at Fort Collins, Colorado USA