Beauty

by Robin McKinley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_BGQ-488500 on 11/26/2010
Journal Entry 1 by rem_BGQ-488500 on Friday, November 26, 2010
When the family business collapses, Beauty and her two sisters are forced to leave the city and begin a new life in the countryside. However, when their father accepts hospitality from the elusive and magical Beast, he is forced to make a terrible promise - to send one daughter to the Beast's castle, with no guarantee that she will be seen again. Beauty accepts the challenge, and there begins an extraordinary story of magic and love that overcomes all boundaries.

A cute story that I neither loved nor hated. An enjoyable read but it does have its flaws.
I found it slow to start, and the ending was pure fluff in the way that only fairy tales can manage. The time Beauty spent at the Beast's castle (i.e. the middle of the book) was an interesting and enjoyable read, and made the book worthwhile.

Overall I'd say it is a good retelling, and I'd like to share this book with other people - hence the Ray.

1. Vekiki - UK (ship UK)
2. ArabellaFigg - UK (ship INT)
3. madpocky - Philippines (ship INT)
4. okyrhoe - Greece (ship INT)
5. Lizzy-stardust - UK (ship INT)
6. Carelaisa - CAN (ship CAN/USA)
7. izzy5000 - US (ship US)

Forum link:

Journal Entry 2 by rem_BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, January 13, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/13/2011 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Posted off to Vekiki today!
Hope you enjoy the book :)

Journal Entry 3 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2011
recieved today - perfect timing as just finished a book, so straight on with this
thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 4 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/29/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

hmmm... a rather mediocre version generally, but i agree, some interesting ideas in the middle section

Posted to next reader yesterday

Journal Entry 5 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Got the book yesterday, thank you Vekiki. I wasn't planning to read this yet as I have had lots of bookrings arrive at once, but last night I thought I'd just read a couple of pages, now I've read just over 100 ! I don't think it's particularly gripping, I think I'm just wanting there to be some action, or a twist or something. Still a good read, I will probably finish it tomorrow!

Journal Entry 6 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 18, 2011
Finished this today at last. I really struggled to finish it, I lost interest. Saying that, the book was still a nice read, I think that's the best way to describe it.
I've sent a PM to madpocky and will get the book moving again asap.

Journal Entry 7 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 20, 2011
Sorry for holding on to this book for so long, it is on it's way to madpocky now.

Journal Entry 8 by madpocky at Manila, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Philippines on Thursday, March 24, 2011
I got the book delivered to my doorstep this week. Wow. If only all books can be so convenient, I would save loads of time from trips to the post office! LOL! Pretty fancy cover. It's been luring me to grab it and read it straightaway. Will do over the weekend. ^-^

Journal Entry 9 by madpocky at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, April 8, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/8/2011 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Here's my review for this book: http://bookwormkitty.blogspot.com/2011/04/beauty-by-robin-mckinley.html

This book is on its way to its next reader. Thank you so much for sharing! ^_________^

Journal Entry 10 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, April 18, 2011
For "surface mail" from the Philippines, this arrived quite fast in Athens!

Thanks madpocky for posting the book, and Lemon-Crisis for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 11 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, May 18, 2011
I have a mixed response to this book.
The story is well-written. We are spared the usual fairy-tale fluff, and it features a refreshingly modern first-person point of view. The heroine is a capable young woman who is able to see things from perspectives other than her own (unlike the spoilt girl of the original tale), and who can express complex thoughts, as evidenced by the numerous instances of her ironic self-deprecating remarks. I also appreciate the literary and classical references, as well as the Freudian subplot (from the moment she puts the griffin ring on her finger, she has all these strange dreams; at the castle she develops a sixth-sense that enables her to hear and feel things).
I wish the motifs of the Minotaur and the Griffin played a more central role in the tale: I felt there were several "mythical" possibilities that weren't developed further, either in a symbolic or psychoanalytic way.
Overall the narrative is a bit too politically correct (no real "evil" or "fear"), and the story fails to convincingly portray the heroine's confusion. "Beauty" is from the beginning already a person of "Honour" (her given name), as well as an embodiment of the attributes that her sisters and niece are named for - Hope and Grace. So there's no real transformation during her journey to the depth of the enchanted forest; her moment of crisis merely involves making a choice between family ties and honoring her promise to the Beast. Well, with her name, it's no contest what she will decide. And I am not so sure it is a difficult choice. It seems to me the primary reason she falls in love with the Beast is because he proves he is - in his own peculiar way - taking good care of her family, not just her. To me it seems too much of an American cliché, as family values prevail in the end.

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (5/17/2011 UTC) at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Posted yesterday to Lizzy-stardust. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, May 21, 2011
received in friday's post. Thanks. Will probbaly start reading on the train back from London tonight.

Journal Entry 14 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2011
I tried really hard but couldn't get into this book. To be honest, I found it a bit boring. Then I lost my job and just couldn't bring myself to read anything. So instead of trying to struggle through it, which at this rate might take over a month, I am passing it on to the next in line. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 15 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, June 9, 2011
rec'd the book yesterday :)

I'm currently another book - almost done with it - and then will start this one; looks like an easy read so it shouldn't take me too long to read it and pass it along.

thanks Lizzy-stardust for sending it my way and to Lemon-Crisis for sharing the book with all of us :))

Journal Entry 16 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, June 29, 2011
I finished the book a few days ago but I'm only posting today -- currently having some computer problems...

So, it seemed at first a nice and enjoyable read. The idea of revisiting the tale of Beauty and the Beast was quite interesting. But, the more I read, the more I found it average. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, from the resume on the back of the book; I found it quite average as a read. I though the slightly "new" twist on it wasn't up to expectations; in the genre, I prefered much more "Mirror, Mirror" by Gregory Maguire. I ended up finishing the book but only to know how it would end. I'm not sure that I'll read more books from this author and it's definitely a book that won't be part of those that I'll remember for a while.

Now, I have pm'ed a few days agos izzy500 but didn't get any reply. I'll try again as she's the last one on the ray...

Journal Entry 17 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, July 7, 2011
the book is now on its way to izzy5000 as of yesterday, July 6th.

Journal Entry 18 by Izzy5000 at Lees Summit, Missouri USA on Friday, July 15, 2011
I'm really excited! I'll read this quickly and pass it on!

Journal Entry 19 by Izzy5000 at Lees Summit, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 21, 2011
I finished the book this morning and I thought it was OK, but I was expecting a little more from Robin Mckinley. I enjoyed it though :)

Thanks for letting me particpate in this bookring!

Journal Entry 20 by Izzy5000 at Lees Summit, Missouri USA on Friday, July 22, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (7/22/2011 UTC) at Lees Summit, Missouri USA

I was out of town when the 'Acts of Kindness' Sweeps winner was announced, so I finally got the chance to send the winner a little something! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 21 by wibba at Foxton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 31, 2011
Thank you so much for this. Hardly had time to put it down before em-bob picked it up. Will look to see whose wishlist this is now on.