Voyages of Doctor Doolittle, The

by Hugo Lofting | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 11/20/2010
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, December 18, 2010
Illustrated by the author.

I never read this very early (1923) Newbery winner or any of the Doctor's other adventures as a kid..and the only movie version I've seen is Eddie Murphy's, so it was fun to discover the Doctor's adventures with Tommy Stubbins. I love the idea of the glass snail!

Interestingly enough, the note at the end says that this is an expurgated edition. I thought that at one point the Newbery folks wouldn't let the medal be shown on the cover of censored copies, but I believe they discontinued that requirement, and maybe they didn't mind since this time it was done with the consent of the author's estate? Makes me curious, though.

EDIT 2016: I haven't read it yet, but here's an online version of the original, illustrated by the author.

What a day! A terrific Christmas luncheon, and you journaled this book before I could even get home and release it, thank you! Released for my D for December challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by allysther at Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, December 19, 2010
Thank you so much for bringing this one along today. This is one of those classics that you think you've read because you know the story, but really you've never even owned a copy. Looking forward to correcting that.

It was great to see you today!

Journal Entry 3 by allysther at Waikele Shopping Center in Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Monday, January 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/3/2011 UTC) at Waikele Shopping Center in Waipahu, Hawaii USA

Congratulations on finding a BookCrossing book. BookCrossing is a wonderful website where readers interact and share books and knowledge. By entering the BCID number for this book you have helped to record this book's journey. Thank you. You can remain anonymous or you can join us in our fun. Either way I hope you enjoy the book!

So much fun! Enjoy!