The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense

by Suzette Haden Elgin | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by eastbaybookmisr of Oakland, California USA on 11/17/2010
Journal Entry 1 by eastbaybookmisr from Oakland, California USA on Wednesday, November 17, 2010
1980 Dorset Press hardcover, with stained dust jacket, by the psycholinguist professor at San Diego State University. I found this copy yesterday in the free books pile on the porch of Montclair Library.

Edit May 5, 2021: This was a somewhat helpful guide to verbal jousting, and how to de-escalate it. Its focus on the particular type of mannered verbal manipulation is a bit limited, perhaps. But the idea of identifying and learning how to respond best to different modes of verbal challenge is very useful. I am looking forward to reading the sequel next, curious what else the author has in mind.

Released 1 mo ago (5/6/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library at 4846 Haley Dr in Castro Valley, California USA

... in the box.

Please look her up on Google, DuckDuckGo, and YouTube. You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram, among other platforms.