The Night Shift

by Brian Goldman | Nonfiction |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 11/16/2010
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Received to review from Harper Collins.

From Harper Collins:
Dr. Brian Goldman is both an emergency room physician at Mount Sinai and a prominent medical journalist. Never one to shy away from controversy, Goldman specializes in kicking open the doors to the medical establishment, revealing what really goes on behind the scenes -- and in the minds of doctors and nurses.

In The Night Shift, Goldman shares his experiences in the witching hours at Mount Sinai Hospital in downtown Toronto. We meet the kinds of patients who walk into an ER after midnight: late-night revellers injured on their way home after last call, teens assaulted in the streets by other teens and a woman who punches another woman out of jealousy over a man. But Goldman also reveals the emotional, heartbreaking side of everyday ER visits: adult children forced to make life and death decisions about critically ill parents, victims of sexual assault, and mentally ill and homeless patients looking for understanding and a quick fix in the twenty-four-hour waiting room. Written with Goldman’s trademark honesty and with surprising humour, The Night Shift is also a frank look at many issues facing the medical profession today, and offers a highly compelling inside view into an often shrouded world.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 25, 2010
Dr. Brian Goldman works the night shift in the ER at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto and has been doing so for more than 20 years. With another career as a radio broadcaster, Goldman uses his journalistic skills to take the reader through his 11pm to 7am shift and showcase some of the cases he has seen. This includes a woman who was in labour yet didn't realize she was pregnant, a suicidal elderly man, and a victim of a bar fight. This book shows you what kind of people and problems an ER sees, how doctors and nurses work together, and what doctors think about when they diagnose patients.

Interestingly, Goldman views his job as a part time job. He works more than 8 hours, as he often stays past his shift to make sure he doesn't leave any patients on the next doctor's plate (a very important item for him as he mentions it multiple times throughout the book). He describes how fatigue can affect doctors and nurses who work these hours and yet he still has a job as a radio show host. One wonders how he finds the time and energy to do this.

The most endearing part of this book, however, is how humane and honest Goldman comes across. You often think of doctors as being egotists that think they can never make a mistake or admit to making one. Goldman makes it clear that he is always afraid of making a mistake and hearing the three dreaded words "Do you remember" which usually implies a patient has died after being treated by the doctor. Goldman is also honest about how he selects cases not always based on how long the person has been waiting in the ER, but on how much the case interests him (let's hope that when I go to the ER, I'm considered interesting enough to be seen more quickly!).

I notice with non-fiction reads I really enjoy that I commonly say "I'm reading this book about ..." and mention some interesting fact about the book. I've done that a couple times while reading The Night Shift. This book looks at not only a Toronto ER, but our overall health care system and how doctors perceive their roles. A very interesting read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 26, 2010
This book is with me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 03, 2010
Dr. Brian Goldman is an emergency room doctor at Mount Sinai in downtown Toronto. He is also a Radio medical journalist having his own show on CBC. In this book he goes through one of his night shifts highlighting the various cases.

One case is about a woman who is giving birth having never realized she was pregnant. Also highlighted are the people who come in in search of a 'fix' and the creative ways they attempt to get their drugs. Although Mount Sinai does not get the gun shot and knife trauma there is more than enough interesting cases.

I found some of the way our health care system works to be very troubling. For instance, older people have more difficulty finding a GP because GPs do not want to deal with the increased health demands of an older person. It is much faster and more economical to treat a younger person with one problem than an older person with a host of problems.

Dr. Goldman seems to be a doctor who really cares about his patients and our health care system. He is basically working on two careers and how he finds the time to do both and write a book is phenomenal.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Mailed to azuki for a swap

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, April 29, 2011
This sounds like an interesting book, thanks!!