Tulip Fever--Join This BookRing

by Deborah Moggach | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tara-K of Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 7/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by tara-K from Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 25, 2003
Of the 7 books I bought today, this is the one I will begin with. I was actually looking for Girl in Hyacinth Blue or Slammerkin since they were both suggested if you liked Girl with a Pearl Earring. They didn't have either of those but the guy at the bookstore recommended this one instead. It takes place in Amsterdam during the Golden Age. I can't wait to start it. I started it last night, 3 August. Read the first 22 pages and I'm hooked. :) I finished it last night, 5 August. I was surprised by the ending. It was very easy reading. I probably would have rated it even higher, but like another review I read, I found what I thought were errors in the Dutch and the fact that it was not based on a real painter or painting.

I'm starting a Bookring on this book. If you're interested, email me @ tara_k@yahoo.com

If you PMd me before 30 July, I didn't get it. Please send again.

"Seventeenth-century Amsterdam, a city in the grip of tulip mania and basking in the wealth it has generated. Cornelis, an ageing merchant, commissions a talented young painter to preserve his status and marriage on canvas. At the sittings, as a collector of beautiful things, Cornelis surrounds himself with symbols of his success, including his young wife, Sophia. But as the portrait grows, so does the passion between Sophia and the artist; and as ambitions, desires and dreams breed an intricate deception, their reckless gamble propels their lives towards a thrilling and tragic conclusion."

What’s a bookring and how does it work?

A bookring is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. The last person on the list mails it back to the bookring owner.

To join this bookring (or any other bookring of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookring member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

ParadisePorch (Canada)
starbytes (Malaysia)
tho (Portugal)
fio-dagua (Portugal)

back to me tara-K

Journal Entry 2 by tara-K from Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 27, 2003
The book is in the mail today to the first participant of the bookring...ParadisePorch.

Journal Entry 3 by ParadisePorch from Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, September 06, 2003
I always enjoy books with historical settings and was very interested in the details of 17th century Dutch life - and paintings. The story is easy to read and has a bit of a twist at the end. Perhaps it even is a morality lesson, such as "Jacob Cats" would have penned: the chaos and heartbreak sown by illicit love.
I'll be sending this on to LeapingLizzards.

Journal Entry 4 by ParadisePorch at Post Office, Main Street in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, September 13, 2003
Released on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at Post Office, Main Street in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia Canada.

Sent by air-mail on Wednesday Sep 10th to Leaping Lizards in Florida. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by LeapingLizzards from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, October 10, 2003
I have to admit when I first started reading this I thought "oh, another attempt at The Girl with the Pearl Earring" which I loved and didn't think another book could match.

However by the time I finished Tulip Fever I loved it just as much.

I will send it ahead today.

Journal Entry 6 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, November 04, 2003
received today! will journal when finished

UPDATE: I AM TRYING TO CONTACT KYMBERLIE FOR AN ADDRESS...HAVE RECIEVED NO RESPONSE AFTER TWO PMS.

I POSTED THIS TO THE WRONG BOOK! I SENT THIS TO WAREAGLE48 ON MONDAY...IT WAS A FANTASTIC BOOK!! I READ IT IN 3 DAYS, IT USUALLY TAKES ME A WEEK TO READ A BOOK.

Journal Entry 7 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Tuesday, December 16, 2003
Tulip Fever safely arrived in Alabama today. Thanks for sending, clawdette, and thanks for starting the bookring, tara-K! Will journal again when done.

Journal Entry 8 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Friday, December 19, 2003
I'm having a difficult time journaling this book. I keep coming back to the paintings. As earlier journalists note, this story takes place in Amsterdam during the Golden Age, during the heyday of the Dutch masters. The story not only focuses on a painter as a main character... but the book itself reads like a painting. Crisp descriptions that draw the vivid picture in your eye -- of the prosperous streets of the city, of the interactions between the characters -- all is beautifully articulated.

So what's my problem? Well, to me the novel focuses on painting picture in our mind. (Pictures which are often provided in the color plates.) But the characterizations seemed mostly two-dimensional as well.

I did enjoy the opportunity to read the book, tara-K. Thanks! I've PMd Kymberlie, if I don't hear back after I wait a bit longer I'm move on down the list.

Journal Entry 9 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, January 10, 2004
This book is heading off to rhythmbiscuit in Colorado as of today.

Journal Entry 10 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Thursday, January 15, 2004
Thank you! The book arrived today; I will read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 11 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, January 24, 2004
*CAUTION: This journal entry contains spoilers.*

I agree with WarEagle78 in that I also found the characterization to be two-dimensional. I didn't care at all about Cornelis, Jan, or Sophia. I didn't believe in them as characters; they didn't come alive on the page for me. I cared about Willem and Maria. I felt bad for them when Willem misinterpreted what he witnessed and I felt good when they straightened it out.

I wasn't as surprised by the ending as other readers seemed to be. I couldn't predict what would happen, for which I am glad--I hate it when the author is so heavy-handed with the plot that the reader expects some twist--but I figured that Jan and Sophia's plan would not work out.

Wasn't tulipmania wild? I can see parallels in our own society, where people gamble everything on one object. I knew someone once who mistook a tulip for an onion, and she got very, very sick after eating it.

I am mailing this book to 16stepper. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, February 07, 2004
The tulips have arrived in Gilbert, just as spring, such as it is here, is springing.

Journal Entry 13 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Monday, March 29, 2004
This book was enjoyable. I am torn about the story-telling style. It is nice to know what each character is feeling, but at first it seemed disjointed. I agree with the other readers that I didn't care for many of the characters, although the chapter with Willem after seeing Sophia dressed as Maria was heartrending. Still, I was yelling, "Fool! Go and talk to her! Don't jump to the easy conclusion." But this was a book where people jumped to the easy conclusion. Gerrit believed the bulb couldn't be worth anything or he wouldn't have been trusted with it. Cornelis and Jan believed that Sophia had committed suicide because her cloak was floating in the canal. I enjoyed the read, but this doesn't compare to Girl in Hyacinth Blue.

Journal Entry 14 by CaptainJack from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, April 24, 2004
Just received this. I have one BookRing ahead of it, but will get to it ASAP. Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by CaptainJack from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, April 27, 2004
Just finished this - I was not blown away by this novel, but enjoyed the look at that time in history when tulips in Holland drive men mad. Thanks for sharing this! I will get this out as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 16 by CaptainJack from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, May 08, 2004
I am just mailing this out today - apologies for the delay!

Journal Entry 17 by spark from San Francisco, California USA on Monday, June 21, 2004
"Mankind's hopes are fragile glass and life is therefore also short..." and I better hurry up and read this book and send it along it's path. And I will.