A Slipping-Down Life

by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 7/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 25, 2003
My oldest registered book still 'to be read', so i'm putting that to rights, for fear that it reaches its first birthday...

(19/07) Review to follow

Anne Tyler has off days, the woman who couldn’t write a bad novel, has underperformed with ‘A Slipping-Down Life’. In her defence, it was one of her earlier books, written in ’69, so she was only 28, closer in age to Evie Decker & Bertam ‘Drumstrings’ Casey, who start the novel at 17 & 19 respectively. And we know that AT does her best work with middle-aged women, vis Ladder of Years, Back when we were Grownups and Breathing Lessons (ed. and what about middle-aged men, the sublime Accidental Tourist). OK, that is all the Tyler books I’ve read so far, but I *will* continue to go through her back catalogue.

The other thing that’s unusual for AT, is that this is a shortish book (154 pages), so she doesn’t really have time to work with the material and develop the main protagonists; not that there seems very far to go with them anyway. I think we see more than enough of the shiftless Drumstrings, and Evie reaches a 'coming of age' of sorts, taking control of her own destiny. On the positive side, we do start to see AT’s great ear for dialogue & measured pace, and the stripping-down to the basics of character (and character flaws) & storyline.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Thursday, September 16, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (9/16/2004 UTC) at

A wee RABiCK for a new Tyler convert. Not her best (IMHO), but still better than the rest...

Journal Entry 3 by deebookfairy from Aboyne, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 17, 2004
What a nice surprise! Arrived in post today. Thanks bookgroupman. I have recently discovered Ann Tyler, so am looking forward to sampling some more of her work.