The Quiet American

by Graham Greene | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 7/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 25, 2003
This was a book group choice, to coincide with the film release in the UK, and we thought it would offer some good talking points with the war in Iraq going on; lessons learnt from earlier military & would-be political forays into asia etc. You know the old phrase about not learning lessons from the past?

This book was a bit slow & moody for me, and felt dated as c20th classics sometimes can. A bit too much form over substance, it felt more like a cross between a 'rough guide' travel brochure and a black-and-white Bogart/Tracey spy film? I don't think in 2003 that we are as naive as the american Pyle, although at least he was more honest (within his own misguided idealogy) than the cynical & self-serving brit Fowler. Lastly, the central love-triangle didn't really work for me, as all 3 characters were flawed (human!) and I like to respect or at least empathise with my heroes. This would make a good (a must) reader for a politics or modern history student, but don't read for fun...maybe I should see the film...??

Released on Monday, November 10, 2003 at Surface mail to USA in Postal release, England United Kingdom.

Sent to fellow BCer JesseBC - as requested. Thanks for your review.

Journal Entry 3 by JesseBC from Duluth, Minnesota USA on Monday, December 22, 2003
Thanks!