The Mistress of Spices

Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 7/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 25, 2003
This book does do what is says on the packet, but ends up a bit of a dogs-dinner, indian mysticism in cynical LA, didn't quite work for me! I quite liked a couple of the stories transplanting sub-continental cultural issues into the city, generation-gap, confused identity, arranged marriages etc. (arranged a bit like 'Tales of the City'), and I liked some of the herb sidelines. Actually, maybe I liked it more than I thought :-) I did read it in one sitting on a long dull train journey from Suffolk to North Wales, so it didn't really 'stick'. Finally, bizarrely, the 'magic' shop reminded me of Mr Benn's fancy dress shop - one for UK 30-somethings!!

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Tuesday, August 05, 2003
Released on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at Sent to Bookcrossing friend by post in Cambridge, England United Kingdom.

Journal Entry 3 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 06, 2003
Recieved in the mail this morning, thank you! Looks like an intriging read, as the back says, a combo of myth, romance, social critique and poetry. On my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 4 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, November 16, 2003
This reminded me of Chocolat by Joanne Harris, the way in which spices are evident and used throughout was interesting - being a vegetarian I enjoyed reading about the spices and the way the author chose to incorporate them into the story was good. I'm not a big fan when it came to the end of the book - a bit of a let down when I thought she would at least burn in the fire!!!Overall a good book, although some of the ideas seem far fetched and out of reach......

Journal Entry 5 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 26, 2003
passed onto thechinasourcer at the Norwich meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 26, 2003
Many thanks for this book.

Journal Entry 7 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, February 22, 2004
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the combination of magic and reality, Tilo's world and the real world outside, not a bit like a dogs-dinner to my mind ;)
I liked the ending too, not too sweet, not too happy or sad, but with a promise of happiness to come. I'll be looking out for more by this author.

Journal Entry 8 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Taken from the BookRelay by sstich79 and posted today.

Journal Entry 9 by sstich79 from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, May 17, 2004
What a nice surprise to find this waiting in my mailbox when I got home today. Thanks so much; I'm looking forward to it!