A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lenalill of Sandefjord, Vestfold fylke Norway on 7/25/2003
Journal Entry 1 by lenalill from Sandefjord, Vestfold fylke Norway on Friday, July 25, 2003
I haven't read it - but I want to release it before I have anyway - maybe other can get plessure with it:)))

lena

29.july - sent out to a girl in nervousness for a bookring

Journal Entry 2 by blondebubbles on Tuesday, September 02, 2003
What can I say...this was one of the strangest books I have ever read. I was a little nervous to read it considering I had heard about the movie when I was in college and all that was entailed in it...but I was curious and wanted to know more. Boy...I'm glad they have an introduction to this book to help explain what in the heck is going on here. The language is something else..."nasdat".....the talk of teenagers at that time. It does help to soften the reading of the gross violence that Alex bestows upon his many victims by sounding it out in "nasdat talk"...but it is still so strange and foreign. I could not entirely enjoy this book...I suppose it kept my interest...I did not find it boring...but I did not find myself wanting to race through my daily routine to get back to it. But hey...now I can finally say I actually read it!

I'm sending it on now to a fellow Nervousness.org member as part of a Nervousness bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by Tamalita from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, October 22, 2003
Wow, this was a very difficult book to get through. I saw the movie years ago, which was weird enough and should have been a clue. The movie was actually something I could follow. The book on the other hand was distracting. I think it was the language that the author invented. I actually began to get the hang of it by the time I finished. An interesting experience.

Journal Entry 4 by hadaverde from Poulsbo, Washington USA on Saturday, November 08, 2003
I received this book just a short while back from the previous journaler, as part of a Nervousness.org bookring. I'd always wanted to read it, having seen the movie a few times and having heard good reviews from several friends over the years.

I completely admit that I skipped the introduction and went straight for the story, then once finished, went back and read the intro. The story was a little difficult to get into at the beginning simply due to the sudden deep immersion in the nadsat slang. A friend of mine in high school had an edition of this book that included a glossary which provided a simple translation between the nadsat slang and proper English, and I was a bit disappointed to find that this particula copy of the book lacked such a handy feature. Still, the slang was not too difficult to comprehend through context, despite its continued ability to distract me because I had some difficulty mentally pronouncing some of the slang terms while reading.

As for the story itself, use of language aside, I enjoyed it, and was a bit surprised that the story continued on an aditonal chapter beyond the conclusion of Kubrick's film version of the story. I preferred the conclusion of the book over that of the movie, for the same reason the author disliked Kubrick's choice in ending the film where he did -- the last chapter really rounds out the story and keeps it from being a tale the purpose of which is to simply incite shock and horror and glorify violence. The final chapter puts the rest of the story into perspective, as a grossly exaggerated commentary on the rebelliousness of youth and the way we change as we grow older, in addition to the more obvious theme of humanity's contradictory urges to both embrace freedom of choice and attempt to resolve problems by removing it.

Journal Entry 5 by transatlantic from Oakland, California USA on Monday, January 26, 2004
Received as part of a nervousness.org LMAO. Finally got to read this, which I've heard so much about. The language is inimitable, of course, and it's an important work. Much better than the film.

Journal Entry 6 by spark from San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2004
just received this book from transatlantic -- part of nness/bookcrossing ring. Have read 3 chapters already -- mind tickling, for sure. More later.

Journal Entry 7 by spark from San Francisco, California USA on Sunday, June 13, 2004
pushing out of the box of what a novel is and can be -- ideas crackling all over the place and sparking in important ways -- imagination running wild -- intelligence shimmering. What a book. What a challenge. What an experience. Better than the movie, of course. but better than just about anything I can think of to stimulate the curious side of my nature. Wow.