The Olive Season

by Carol Drinkwater | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by bibliotreker of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on 11/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by bibliotreker from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, November 08, 2010
From Publishers Weekly
Striking a lovely balance of memoir, travelogue and olive-growing how-to, Drinkwater (The Olive Farm) delivers a richly textured account of her enviable life in southern France. She and her husband return from their wedding in Polynesia to their farm: "[P]erched halfway up the slope of the hill, our belle ‚poque villa comes into view. Abounding in balustrade terraces, nestling among cedars and palms... overlooking the bay of Cannes towards the sun-kissed Mediterranean, there it is." The author's roots are in acting, and her dramatic flair turns mundane chores-e.g., spraying olive trees with fungicide; learning the basics of beekeeping-into colorful celebrations of nature. Some of her adventures are quite funny, such as a stuffy dinner at a British Lady's home-it's the French equivalent of a McMansion, in a housing development "where the enormously wealthy and overly paranoid can vacation with peace of mind, secure in the knowledge that armed guards and coded gates keep the rest of the south of France out of sight and at bay." Drinkwater's description of her dinner companion at that gathering-"a convivial, lobster-faced aristocrat" who makes her feel like she's "in the company of a steaming kettle"-typifies her pointed yet kindhearted sense of humor. But at the heart of these optimistic musings lies Drinkwater's desire for a child of her own (her husband has daughters from a previous marriage), and this book is heartbreakingly framed around near-fulfillment of that dream. Drinkwater succeeds in illustrating not only the graceful countryside, but the buoying power of an adopted community and a devoted spouse.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Thanks so much for sending this to me Bibliotreker. I just finished reading The Olive Farm and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to spending more time in the south of France.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, June 11, 2012
I loved this book and fairly flew through it! I enjoyed spending time again with Carol and Michel in Provence. This book took us through the highs (getting "spliced," a difficult but successful olive harvest and the joy of extending their olive groves with friends) and lows (Carol's unfulfilled wish for a child) of their life in France.

She writes lovingly and descriptively of her life on the farm. Here's a passage near the end of the book that really spoke to me - "For me the gathering of olives is a therapy. Some knit or embroider; I grow, gather and press olives. I enjoy the air on my cheeks, the earth beneath my destroyed fingernails, the rich aroma of the damp soil, the birdsong all around me; the simplicity and authenticity of life in the garden. It makes sense; adds up; doesn't demand comprehension, though it does demand commitment and can be physically backbreaking. But even that I enjoy: working until I am dead beat." (pp. 318-319)

This is reserved for a non-fiction vbb. Thanks for sharing it with me, Bibliotreker!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, July 09, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/9/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

Packaged up and ready to go to the po, Monday or Tuesday at the latest. From Carroll County, MD to Carrollton, TX. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Saturday, July 21, 2012
Thank you Mary Zee for sending this along. I'm looking forward to reading and releasing!!

Journal Entry 6 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Sunday, May 22, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (5/22/2016 UTC) at Carrollton, Texas USA

Off to the great state of OKLAHOMA!! Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, June 09, 2016
Thanks, folks. I've been to Provence, but only remember grape vines and sunflowers. Shouldn't be too hard to visualize the olives instead. :)